Crazy white people in Virginia lease land near highway on which to fly giant Confederate flag

You know how it is, I wasn’t like… there or anything, but from what I read it was pretty contentious right from the beginning. This is probably a very old argument.

Also: I’d wager a guess that generations of cartographers have been passive aggressively adding their two cents to the debate. In fact, even the early historical maps seem to disagree.

Thinking about it, I kind of see where you are coming from. Let me ask you this though: Weren’t both sides technically one country until the war actually broke out? It seems that politically it was pretty split before that too.

1 Like

He’s clinging to this arguable point because it is the only pathetic thread he has left to cling to.

For me the highlight of this conversation was learning about the hideous statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest that people like to shoot at. I wanna shoot holes in it too, in the name of art mostly but also because Forrest was a titanic racist asshole who is unfortunately deified by many Americans.

I already knew there were crazy bigots with flags in Virginia, that wasn’t news to me personally. I’ve spent many a happy day in Tappahannock, VA (where my mixed-race family is welcomed and appreciated) and points south, but you sure don’t have to look hard to find the loser flag down there.

2 Likes

They’ve tried to shoot it down, drag it down and knock it down but the damned thing is still standing. Some people around here have nicknamed it the hamburglar but I don’t really see it. Nashville Davidson County is a largely “blue area” surrounded by a sea of red but I think that statue is an embarrassment to most regardless of political party.

Your cherrypicked data point says SOUTHEASTERN which is not a synonym for SOUTHERN

Um, dude… I hate to break it to you, but that is their logo and not a “data point”.

Are you really this dense?

ONCE AGAIN, (as I said in my post) the Census Bureau and the Association of American Geographers classify West Virginia as part of the South. If you have a problem with it, take it up with them.

You’re ridiculous.

I think West Virginia is takes a lot of flack because it is rife with white poverty and poorly educated people. Coal mining is the main industry and the people who want more out of life tend to hightail it out of there. For a “caricaturization” of W.Virginia life see “The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia

I could care less if it is in the South or not. I as more concerned that Cowcide was cherry picking facts to support his erroneous claims.

The logo describes what is on the map…in this case the Southeast.

I could care less if it is in the South or not.

More lies. How quaint.

YOU brought it up in the first place HERE.

Now that you’ve been proven wrong, you try to desperately and dispicably backpedal.

You’re not fooling anyone with your dishonesty.

The reason you tried to mindlessly argue that West Virginia wasn’t part of the South was because it didn’t fit into your predetermined mindset about Federal spending. You hoped that I’d forget that. I haven’t. Sorry, but you’re not smart enough to weasel out of this.

Have some dignity and stop lying.

You can’t keep up as usual. Too much “heavy lifting” for your brain I suppose.
I disagreed with you lumping WV in as the South while leaving out Texas and Arkansas when you circled what you called the southern states on a map to try to prove a point. That would be here.

The logo describes what is on the map…in this case the Southeast.

Um, once again, it’s a logo… do you really want to go down this road again (see below)? Hahah…

Once again, the Census Bureau and the Association of American Geographers classify West Virginia as part of the South. It has nothing to do with their logo. If you have a problem with it, take it up with them.

I could care less if it is in the South or not.

Hey, what happened to your USDA Forest Service map?

Cowicide said: It’s considered by modern Americans (once again, you may not apply to that category) as part of the south.

Really? The fine folks at the USDA Forest Service live in the past? http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/foresthealth/programs/riskmap/maps/statemaps.shtml

Hahah… No wonder the south is in shambles.

You really don’t seem to understand that we’re talking about the flag of the Confederacy (a.k.a. the South as in the “North vs South”). Only certain states ever flew that flag. But if you think it makes you look less foolish you can argue semantics all you like. It doesn’t change any of my points.

This topic will automatically close in 4 days.
well thank goodness for that
2 Likes

You really don’t seem to understand that we’re talking about the flag of the Confederacy (a.k.a. the south) as in the “North vs South”.

Too bad for you, this is all written down in this thread.

I first brought up the South (very much in the present tense) HERE and you responded to my post to the South in the present tense HERE. Nowhere did I say old-timey “confederate” South, nor did you until you attempted to move the goal posts after I repeatedly proved you wrong on many various points.

Nice try, but you’re not smart enough to weasel out of this after the fact.

I disagreed with you lumping WV in as the South whole leaving out Texas and Arkansas when you circled the southern states on a map to try to prove a point.

You’re not much on comprehension of words, charts, maps nor red circles, are you? I showed where it was concentrated within the south with my red circle.

Unlike you and Medievalist, I don’t feel that the borders of the South are defined by my own anecdotal determinations on things, much less a little red circle I used to show the particular states in the South that suck up Federal money. Instead, I go with the greater reality and general consensus as accepted by non-idiots everywhere on where the modern day boundaries of the South exist today.

You see, I figured any idiot would know where the South was outside of my red circle which was pointing to the states in question. But, then again, I didn’t know I was dealing with you two, either.

I guess this is just another reaction because I hurt your precious ego by proving you wrong again and again.

Sorry, but your inane distractions don’t work. You’re not smart enough. And, you keep proving it… over… and over… and over…

Hey, what happened to your USDA Forest Service map? I guess it disappeared along with your dignity, huh? Hahaha… pathetic.

Speaking as a Chicago native…that’s pretty much what a lot of tourists here say, literally or figuratively. Too many of them love to spend a few days or even a week taking in the touristy sections of town – usually not the most historically interesting sections – while being quite vocal about how they hate the people, the lifestyle, and the scary diversity, and can’t wait to get back home. So why did they come?

3 Likes

You’re right the conversation is all here. You have been making broad unfounded statements about the south in a thread about Confederate flags. When asked to cite evidence you cite an article about “Red States” Talk about moving goal posts. You’re in such a hurry to call us all lazy bigots you’ve turned yourself into one. Now you want to argue semantics. You look like a fool and I am a fool for humoring you.

As for the map I posted… it is still where I posted it. If you can’t understand why I posted it yet it is unlikely you will anytime soon.

You’re right the conversation is all here.

Yep, and I showed you with links and evidence that you’re wrong.

You have been making broad unfounded statements about the south

I provided links and sources to back me up. Are you a compulsive liar or what?

Now you want to argue semantics.

Projecting again, how quaint. A delusional liar and a hypocrite. Thank you for confirming it yet again.

If you can’t understand why I posted it yet it is unlikely you will anytime soon.

I understand why, it’s because you’re rather dense. Why else would you post something that destroys your own argument?

Agreed… I do think that some people from the land of my birth do ignore their own racism, though, in their zeal to condemn the south…

It was my understanding that West Virginia was a similarly split state during the civil war. Parts of it were strongly secession and parts were strongly union. Depended on the county.

I admit I’m a Northerner through and through (and even a descendent of a minor Union hero), but things like this remind me of my father’s comments when I lived in DC and he encountered the “Jefferson Davis Parkway” in Virginia. As he said “Where are the Adolph Hitler, Kaiser Willem, Kim Il Sung, and Ho Chi Minh parkways” given that apparently naming them after enemy leaders is a thing?

5 Likes

Streets named after Adolph Hitler

Ho Chi Minh Highway

Kim Il-sung Boulevard

Kaiser Wilhelm Tunnel

I do get the point. You meant locally. My point is that the people who put it up don’t see him as an “enemy” leader.

Also, I googled quicker than I read so those streets named after hitler were before the end of WWII. In fact, other than streets named Hitler supposedly after someone other than adolf, I’m having a hard time finding one. Then again, hitler did have this to have his name associated with for forever:

enter link description here