Crazy Zillow listing reveals floor plans inspired by Harriet Tubman and Frida Kahlo

Originally published at: Crazy Zillow listing describes floor plan inspired by Harriet Tubman

1 Like

What were they thinking

Reading through the ridiculous descriptions of plans named after various women, especially the Margaret Thatcher one, makes me think they could be “clever” conservatives trying to “own the libs.”

Maybe it’s a slightly subtle update of racist redlining practices.

5 Likes

I’m somewhat wondering if they asked chatGPT to drum up some new build descriptions based on women

5 Likes

I get the sense that all the houses share the “Marjorie Taylor Greene” plumbing and electrical scheme.

6 Likes

Two things:

1- Yes, website, I’m sure the Audrey II is inspired by Audrey Hepburn as your text says, and isn’t a reference to anything else.

2- To me, all these designs with their huge chunk of the surface area used for parking, are not far off of this parody image,:

3- (edited to add) Is there a single one of these that doesn’t have the kitchen open-plan with the main living space? I can’t stand that layout, but it’s inescapable in modern new builds.

8 Likes

For crying out loud it doesn’t even include a greenhouse.

6 Likes

I’m no architect or space planner, but the Thatcher with the master (‘owner’) bedroom right next to the dining room and kitchen feels super weird. My master bedroom and bath is at the top of my home, farthest away from almost everything, and has the best overall view. I thought that was normal?

3 Likes

“The Juggalo” - Crazy, chaotic - but also all about family. Features a built in recessed wrestling ring, and a Faygo dispenser where the water should be on the refrigerator. Large. LED lit mirrors in the master bathroom means makeup application is a snap. Retire to the back yard where there is an adult sized circus themed bouncy house. (Bonus, shhhh, don’t tell anyone, there’s copper in the walls.)

6 Likes

Optimism It Could Be Worse GIF by Big Brother

6 Likes

I’m sure I’m giving these nitwits too much credit, but it might be aimed at elderly people. People who age in place at home and who become infirm often end up downstairs near the kitchen.

4 Likes

I assume this house ends up being overpriced, cramped, restrictive, and generally inaccessible?

10 Likes

It promises the earth, but when you buy it, you find that they’ve sold off the water, the phone line and the electricity.

9 Likes

There is no ‘normal’ any more.

(Or perhaps: That’s just GQP talk.) /s

2 Likes

And there will have been no maintenance for ten years, so the place will be falling apart.

4 Likes

lol this is the best

2 Likes

Open plan homes are so stupid. It makes it much harder to keep the place warm in winter and cool in summer. We may be tricked into thinking there would be more airflow, but it depends on window placement, and so many folks never even open their windows anymore!

“I feel trapped in my kitchen, with everyone in the living room while I cook! I’d love having the heat from cooking increasing the ambient temperature during the summer! It would also make it easier for me to scream at the kids!”

It’s even worse when idiots buy a classic, historic-era home and start knocking out the walls. Buy a fucking modern build, instead of wrecking homes the likes of whom are fewer and fewer every year!

1 Like

Can someone help me out here, I’m feeling like I’m missing context. I’m Canadian and don’t have as strong a knowledge in American history. Is the problem just that it’s named after Harriet Tubman (because yes, I can see that’s kinda crass) or is the “standing out from the crowd” a problem because she worked clandestinely to rescue slaves? Or is it some other thing?

1 Like

I was hoping The Frida would be a replica of her house-now-museum, which is freakin’ awesome. And is huge and would be many millions of dollars.

The least they could do is make this model particularly good for accessibility and in home care.

5 Likes

Mainly this. It’s exploitation, slapping the names of famous women on unremarkable floorplans on very tenuous pretexts. Not so much offensive as silly, although using Tubman is particularly distasteful.

3 Likes

Happy Joel Mchale GIF by ABC Network

5 Likes