Creating a UV curing oven for resin using grocery bags

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/15/creating-a-uv-curing-oven-for-resin-using-grocery-bags.html

3 Likes

Set the part outside where it will be bathed in sunlight. Wait a few days. Collect the part. Rotate if it is not translucent.

I have no experience with such things, I’ve not seen an insulated grocery bag, I did a search for ‘resin curing’ to find out what that means, and I’m still not sure I understand who would need such a thing. But it seems to be lots of UV light, and heat is good. Could such a thing be useful to house small containers of hydrogen peroxide to de-yellow ABS plastic (retrobright)?

Tell me about this making envelopes out of the bags! It sounds useful. Thanks!

A woman in my neighborhood is sewing those bags into insulation pads for unhoused people to sleep on.

2 Likes

You threw me with an actually useful and honourable repurposing of these things. Well done.

My only offer was to write a cranky comment for @garethb2 to simply stop buying stuff that comes in these bags (plastic waste stream, people!) (of course I’m ignorant of his personal circumstances; let me just say sorry in advance if he can’t get out to shop himself).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.