Creative Prodikeys combined both types of keyboard in one

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/12/30/creative-prodikeys-combined-bo.html

2 Likes

I remember seeing ads for those growing up. They seemed a bit impractical. Now I’d rather make a bracket system to hold my midi controller above my keyboard. I’m spoiled by having pitch and modwheels. :laughing:

That guy can really finger drum. :blush:

5 Likes

Well that sucks, they don’t seem to have drivers for anything past Windows XP.

3 Likes

#WANT

2 Likes

I’ve always wanted a chording-keyboard.

6 Likes

Maybe it just works. Tempted!

7 Likes

Never doubt the power of my memory again!

6 Likes

You should pull the trigger and report back…uh, for science. There’s one on eBay for only $20.

This could be you!

4 Likes

I had one in work (people used it with Sibelius rather than controlling a synth). It was unusably awful for actually playing.

Still want a keytar.

It was great, but then after a month of typing the QWERTY keyboard died and it became more expensive landfill.

Wow! I had a feeling that it must have been found by one of us before, but…

2 Likes

Unfortunately the cool one is PS/2. It’s really not gonna work, and if I buy it, I’ll be like, I can do this!, and I’ll be like “Oh, if I buy a USB keyboard controller board, I can hook up the matrix to it” and then “Oh, but I guess I need to also cannibalize the USB controller from a cheap modern MIDI controller too” and then the safe never gets opened.

4 Likes

Yeah, let’s focus on the safe please.

WAIT A SEC! WHAT IF THE SAFE HAS A CREATIVE PRODIKEYS KEYBOARD/KEYBOARD INSIDE OF IT?!?

10 Likes

I should get one just to weird out my colleagues.

1 Like

Ahead of its time. Two productivity distractions in one device.

1 Like

Make some vim or emacs bindings for this baby, you got yourself one enviable dev environment.

2 Likes

I’m sure it would also work for Windows development… In C#

4 Likes

But then you’re like, oh I just never turn on my projectors and Processing setup so that anything at all can be a velocity-sensitive keyboard, I just set it up for that one MMORPG and haven’t changed it since; but then, let Microsoft introduce the product and feel obliged at random to hit $18 or some other price point that makes the Surface 5 seem reasonable. They’re likely to be the ones bundling 100 haptic feedback controllers for $30 more so you can make purple emoji as upset as they need to be in 2017. ATLUS or Microsoft…

5 Likes

Meh. To me, about as useful as a shaving mirror on a hammer.

1 Like

No you don’t. Only the you-know-who with his tiny hands can play this thing.

I had one. I’m Asian, only 5 foot 6, and with relatively small hands. I’m also an adult. And I can’t play this thing. The keys are the size of a child’s keyboard.

3 Likes