'Creep Sheet' keeps track of public figures accused of sexual misconduct

Your published standards are probably above the average, and the apparent decision not to accept ads is as appreciated as it is unusual. I’m wondering if a resource like this could exert a positive influence on the click-bait standards of paid gossip sites like TMZ that unfortunately float to the top of google searches. I know the conventional wisdom is that capitalism overshadows non-capitalist projects, but I hope this is one of the cases where that wisdom turns out to be wrong.

If I may ask a question (and apologies if I’m nitpicking), but have you considered including transpersons in the By The Numbers, particularly with regard to the alleged victims?

5 Likes

As far as I know, there is only one transperson who is among the alleged victims: http://www.creepsheet.com/accused/david-o-russell

4 Likes

Nope, that adds a level of kinkiness my younger self just did not have. But your tirade was the reason for my second sentence where I make no judgment or further comment from my previous statements.

2 Likes

I assumed as much. I was just pointing to the less endearing reality beneath the facade.

It was a little tirade-y, though I stand by my points entirely. That said, I was using your comment as a springboard to make them. Sorry if I seemed to be taking you to task in any way. That wasn’t my intention.

4 Likes

Chris Herbert,

I noticed that you used the word “creator” and not “owner.” The website itself offers zero transparency in terms of ownership or financing - or really any transparency at all. Is this a personal project of yours? Do you fund it yourself? Beyond “[using] credible news publications as sources,” what’s your fact-checking process?

As well, do feel that it’s important to disclose that you work for Berman and Company, a public relations and lobbying firm “known for campaigns that include aggressive advertising, opposition research, and online communications”?

I’m the owner and creator. I purchased the domain name, set up the server, built the site, and researched/wrote nearly all the profiles. I’m using the same server as my other personal projects (check them out some time - trumponstern.com, fakenewscodex.com).

I’m not sure what funding I’d need but if you know any rich people who’d be interested in being my patron, definitely let me know.

I don’t do fact checking beyond using mainstream media sources - that’s the point of restricting my sources that way. I think of the site as working like Wikipedia - no original research and a focus on secondary sources.

8 Likes

And I find it fucking creepy that this has been massively going on forever with our collective lack of listening, caring and believing.

And I’m fucking creeped out by your creeped outedness over the necessity of this site.

7 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

Thank you for making the website.

7 Likes

Oh good; all the needless histrionics are gone.

Again, it’s worth noting that of 322 entries listed, only 6 are women.

9 Likes

Now 7! Another woman was added this evening: http://www.creepsheet.com/accused/marion-zimmer-bradley/

4 Likes

Oh, yay.

“A woman in power can be every bit as abusive as a man.”
~ Katherine Alvarez, Disclosure, 1994

6 Likes

Which is most likely the reason for the statistical difference, ofc. Women haven’t generally had the power to abuse, not any inherent goodness about us.

5 Likes

Precisely.

4 Likes

Power and time seem to be the recipe for a large majority of abuses small and large. I wonder if maybe a world without domination would be nearer to utopia than any work of fiction.

3 Likes

I’ve often thought that any position of power should be stripped of all ‘perks’ (especially material gains) and made into an uneasy but mandatory burden, which frequently rotates among the entire citizenship; that way no one ‘clamors’ for it, or gets too used to it.

4 Likes

I see it as a reflection of the fact that human nature really is the root of most evil, particularly the willingness to substitute the exploitation of others for personal achievement towards one’s desires and yet the ability to nonetheless believe it is personal achievement. For one of many examples, the ability of people whose only real accomplishment is exploiting others to build empires on the backs and minds and spirit of better people to still believe they sacrificed for their serfs and did all the real work.

3 Likes

That one is particularly disappointing, given how great the Avalon books are…

2 Likes

This. As long as being in a position of leadership/power come with various perks, you’ll continue to have exploitation of those positions. Making leadership incredibly onerous and not in the least bit glamorous could help in that. Rotating amongst a given population (rather than either voting for or appointing people) could help with that. But then again, there is the problem of sytsemic stability, which is a strong aspect of the current system (in the US). Entrenched bureaucratic systems carry institutional memory forward, and as the Trump administration is learning, it’s hard to change that system. But that has major draw backs, too, such as making it harder to root out various kinds of corruption.

I think it’s important to remember that we need fiction to imagine such utopias in the first place.

6 Likes