Creepbay: the gothiest stuff on the net

My first thought was candy goths. I wonder if that is a thing? Too Monday to google it.

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of it, but perky goth most certainly was back in the day…

Here’s a long ass list of the types of goth!

http://www.odk.com/wilson/goth/150.html

[ETA] Also, perkygoths have a manifesto!!!

http://www.odk.com/wilson/goth/manifesto.html

ruby-gloom-bright-of-dark

2 Likes

[Jaw drops]

I had no idea there had been such a proliferation.

My closet turned all black around 82-84. I remember a local new report about these vampire obsessed teens called us WOBs (wears only black). I probably described my style back then as goth but never considered myself a goth. I was always chasing new music too much to stick with one sub culture.

That perkygoth manifesto is adorable.

1 Like

Me neither. Back in the 90s when I frequented goth clubs, there were a few variants, but not this long a list!

1 Like

Sometime is the early 90’s I transitions from goth clubs to raves. But exact dates are a bit hazy.

eta: As I think about it the clubs I was transitioning from were more industrial/steam punk focused than goth but of course there was plenty of cross over.

1 Like

I had heard candy graver used at least once to describe a graver (raver/goth) who had managed to really mix a candy raver look in with her goth look. I think we were in line for a show.

My little circle threw the word graver around with much disdain but I’ve since gotten well over that teenage prejudice and my new circle has more burner/raver/goth crossover.

3 Likes

Never did the rave thing… But some of the djs in the clubs I’d go to played a good selection of danceable electronic industrial… so close! :wink:

The whole postpunk subcultures are endlessly fascinating to me…

1 Like

395732588_640

7 Likes

Word! Purity is no fun! Diversity is the spice of life!

2 Likes

Yes, I like that combination. It’s a good balance of attributes. I always play a hybrid in games.

I went to maybe a dozen raves at most. Again, I passed through the culture. Appreciated its strengths and noted its problems. My personal favorite was a rave up in Canada in a rock quarry. Each dig/hole area had its own stage with a different genre. When you came up to ground level the sound was minimal and when you walked down into one of the dig areas it vibrated every cell in your body in the best way.

1 Like

My favorite dance music is still 80’s darkwave but I have gotten into some of the more electronic stuff played in goth clubs in the 2000’s and on. I think the stuff I like mostly falls into German futurepop.

I more recently tried to go to an actual rave with some friends and couldn’t get into it enough to dance but I do find the more recent stuff way more tolerable than 90’s rave music. I’ve gone back and watched video shot at old raves and for whatever reason the stuff from that era still just rubs me the wrong way something awful.

There is music I do like from more recent rave type stuff but I’m still to particular in what I like. Goth is the genere where I can usually go to a night and get into most of what gets played even if it’s not my favorite stuff.

2 Likes

I went to a Goth night once; great mix of music, great outfits, but with the added stereotype of little groups of goths not talking to each other… :smirk:

2 Likes

INTROVERTS UNITE! but not too close. Little farther. Over there… yeah. :wink:

1 Like

Pretty much :grin:

2 Likes

Now it’s my everyday commute on the bus in Seattle.

1 Like

But do they play the Sisters’ on the tannoy?

2 Likes

Seattle buses are quieter than deep space. If someone talks on the phone someone will ask them to stop point blank. Everyone sits in silence avoiding eye contact.

eta: It’s happened to me twice and I was whispering because I knew I might get chastised.

2 Likes

I use to regularly go to 2 different clubs for their goth nights… one place was basically one big room, so it was hard to have conversations. The other had a separate bar from the dance floor, so people were more apt to sit and chat… But they could be pretty standoffish with outsiders, none the less.

1 Like

Same here. Usually nice people, just hard to strike up a conversation.
Probably explains the drinking. :smirk:
Most of the Goth types I knew were fairly happy ones, really. One of the few grumpy ones died recently but he hadn’t chosen anything dark for his last song; his casket went behind the curtain to the Star Wars theme…

1 Like

So, like, theatre technicians?

4 Likes