Customers stranded in pub for three nights had "truly an amazing experience"

Originally published at: Customers stranded in pub for three nights had "truly an amazing experience" | Boing Boing

13 Likes

I’ve had some wonderful times during blizzards, though nothing like this.

My old neighbors used to invite everyone to a hootenanny whenever a big blizzard hit, people would show up to play music and drink and eventually run around in the snow late in the night.

13 Likes

25 Likes

12 Likes

Sounds like they made the best out of their sitch; good for them.

13 Likes

to knock back a few while enjoying the band Noasis — an Oasis cover band.

That’s funny… Hootenanny Blizzard is the name of MY Oasis cover band

18 Likes

Good thing it was a cover band and not the real Oasis. If the Gallagher brothers had been there, no one would have survived.

26 Likes

And no one was murdered? That is something. Makes me thirsty too…

4 Likes

Here! He’s cut off!

tumblr_34942583b73f3061f266e57ab7c5bd92_73f33594_500

6 Likes

Of course, had they eaten the Gallagher brothers, a la Sir Robin’s minstrels, there would have been even more rejoicing.

11 Likes

On a lone desert Pennine highway,
Cool Raw wind in my hair …

4 Likes

I think I spent a very windy night sleeping in a car outside this pub. It was wild. Like, rolling around on a rough sea wild. The car was rocking. Good times! What lucky folks, to get stuck in such a fine establishment :grin:

4 Likes

Irish hotel bars can stay open all night (and morning, and day…) if they lock their doors during the early morning hours. The partying really does kick up a notch when everyone is literally locked in!

6 Likes

I wonder how much toothbrushing was going on…

1 Like

I once went night skiing on a Friday, at a local place about 20 minutes away from where I lived. After a couple of hours of enjoying the fresh snow, I go into the lodge to take a break and it was . . . different. People were nesting, handing out food and drink, and the atmosphere was suddenly a lot friendlier. Asking around, I discovered that the snow I’d enjoyed was, in fact, turning into a Northeaster, and the road up the mountain was already closed due to drifting. The ski lifts kept running, all night, and I spent a nice couple of days skiing, sleeping on a pile of discarded ski parkas and snowpants, and generally having fun. If you’ve never tobogganed down a ski hill at 3am, with three other strangers with more adventure than sense, desperately trying to maintain control when none of you have any idea what you’re doing, I suggest you go try it, because it is amazing.

I’m glad that customers had a good experience as well, it’s nice to get a reminder now and then that not everything sucks.

13 Likes

monty-python-rejoice

10 Likes

We now live in a world where there are Oasis cover bands.

2 Likes

Mom heard Oasis and said, “Oh, are these the latest Beatles wannabes?”

5 Likes

Story checks out.

6 Likes

Some English pubs will do this too, although I’m not sure how legal it is (the way they also pull the curtains tight shut always made me wonder). Being included in a lock-in is something usually reserved for the regulars - it’s considered a badge of merit, a high level of acceptance. If you find yourself locked in at your regular, you’ve made it.

10 Likes