CVS and Walgreens will begin selling abortion pills this month

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/03/cvs-and-walgreens-will-begin-selling-abortion-pills-this-month.html

7 Likes

Time to make those forced-birth anti-abortionists our prime target!

ezgif-5-7503e48b5f

19 Likes

A pharmacy selling an FDA-approved medication? What a concept! What next? Offering FDA-approved flu shots?!

This is the pass we’ve come to in this country, where experts doing their everyday jobs – even in pursuit of the almighty dollar – are opposed by 27% of the adult population.

10 Likes

Surprised that Amazon hasn’t jumped on board as well in their pursuit of the pharmacy retail market.

4 Likes

Should be government funds for a few such drugs in precautionary kits to be handed to young folks while getting their HPV vaccine (wouldn’t that cause republican old man toupees to ignite?)

4 Likes

Any regulatory wonks know what “become certified to dispense the pills” implies in the context of a preexisting retail pharmacy carrying an FDA-approved drug without obvious special conditions(eg. not of interest to the DEA; not a radiopharmaceutical whose potency changes by the hour or potentially requires a health physicist to keep an eye on the situation)?

Is that just a weirdly active way of saying that the FDA allowing retail pharmacies to dispense allowed them, as retail pharmacies, to dispense? Is there some sort of (presumably normally a formality, given the sheer number of prescription drugs carried by retail pharmacies) paperwork involved in a pharmacy adding a new drug to the catalog? Was there some special provision tacked on in this case because of all the moralistic fretting?

I believe, and someone please correct me if I’m wrong, that prior to this, the pills had to be administered, not just prescribed. So a doctor or a nurse would need to give them to you while you were physically in a clinic or hospital, rather than just let you pick them up at the pharmacy and take them at home.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.