Da Musicz

I didn’t have to. I love disco. I have always loved disco. I will always love disco.

I was at a friend’s funeral the other year and was sitting in the hotel the night before blankly staring at an episode of Top of the Pops from 1979. It was great beginning to end for me. Disco, punk, reggae, pop. I mean Buzzcocks were the greatest pop band releasing great single after single back then. Chic were just as great (I love Dimitri from Paris’ re-edits because he fixes the one flaw in say “greatest dancer” etc. - they’re not all ten minutes long. Each one is a bona fide banger to this day).

Also, following on from Cerrone above, “I feel love” by Donna Summer is, literally the greatest song ever recorded. I had an epiphany dancing to it on a dancefloor with all the lights and that as a child. An epiphany that stayed with me for the next 40 years.

I never stopped loving chic or Donna Summer whatever fashion was trending at the time. Sometimes even when you are an ignorant child from an unfashionable end of the western part of a continent you’re still right from the get go.

I think you are partially confusing disco with novelty dancefloor songs, which most genres attract. I have much to say on that subject (positive which might be a surprise) but this is long enough already. Also disco is both a scene and, later, a set of production tropes to be applied to other musics to make them “on trend”. So when I was a kid people in Ireland thought Abba were disco, they were in their hole, they were a pop band who sometimes used disco production tropes. Boney M were though and I dare you to listen to Night flight to Venus as Rasputin starts edging into the mix without a smile on your face at the outrageous cheek they had to pull that off. Talking of novelty.

4 Likes