Da Musicz

4 Likes

Cool song… she’s a goth rapper?

:thinking:

More about her…

she used to be in a band called Hands-off-Gretel…

Flashing in the vid and some violence… straight up early 90s grunge.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s where I first heard of her. She has a solo album as Lauren Tate as well.

1 Like

Thanks!

Also… what is it lately with so many younger bands coming straight out of the early 90s?

2 Likes

Who knows, but there are a lot of them. I still hear a lot of 80’s influences as well.

Here’s another 90’s influenced group.

3 Likes

Me too! But lately, lots of early 90s aesthetic and sounds…

3 Likes

It does seem like the younger the band, the more 90’s influences you hear.

Maybe the kids of millennials raided their parents music collection?

3 Likes

Could be… also, kids now a days just have access to all of music (well, lots of recorded music anyways) via streaming services… I was with friends yesterday, and one was talking about the music her 9 year old is listening to… it included some pretty wide-ranging stuff from both now and the past… She mentioned like Boney M, among others…

Okay… I’m really digging the Pom Pom Squad…

2 Likes

That probably has a lot to do with it—I know the variety of music I listened to significantly expanded when I started streaming music.

1 Like

Yeah… I don’t have any streaming services for music, but I can see how it can expand horizons…

That reminds me, there is a scene early on in Cobra Kai, not long after Johnny agrees to take on Miguel as a student. Johnny makes some off-handed remark about how kids don’t know music today when Miguel says he doesn’t know a band he mentioned (like GnR or something like that) and in the next scene, Miguel has made up a playlist of 80s metal bands… It’s really illustrative of how kids today can educate themselves via the internet.

Rock Out Lets Go GIF by NETFLIX

1 Like

I think this is a big part of it.

And I think this applies to fashion and culture in the more general sense.

It seems to me that the younger generations are rolling around in a big tumble-dryer of retro.

We were the first generation to be exposed to ‘Retro’ as kids in the '80s through to the early 90s. And our retro was defined be Levis jeans, Wayfarer sunglasses, Marlon Brando leather jackets and stuff. And we listened to the Doors and Velvet Underground etc. And we felt that that was pretty authentic but lately I’ve had the realisation that it probably wasn’t all that authentic after all.

What caused this epiphany is that I see the current style for retro (particularly in the motorcycle world that I mostly inhabit) that I recognise this stuff as retro (as opposed to modern, progressive, futuristic etc.) but I realise now that this is referring back to an imaginary time, a time that didn’t actually happen.

I understand this is the thesis behind Simulacra and Simulation but I’m only starting to understand it viscerally, of late.

I also have a half-baked drunken theory that the future ended in the '80s and where we’re at now is the post future. Basically, it goes something like retro is a refuge for people who can’t cope with the future. Culture generally (at least the bit that I live in) stopped fixating on novel, futurism and bolted back into a kind of shit classicism starting some time around the mid '80s.

So before this turns into a rant, I’d like to conclude and reiterate my point.

Part of this is (as you @mspie500 and @Mindysan33 say) because young people have access to pretty much the whole of music. And it seems to me that the other part is that there is no longer a very clear and optimistic future to aspire to.

So retro it is.

As an example of insubstantial retro, I offer the following video. I’m not criticising it and I’m not saying the the music is retro, just the visual style of the video…

2 Likes

I discovered this in the blogosphere earlier today and after listening to it on repeat, I’m feeling pretty cyberpunk right now!

2 Likes

Oh, if I could only have had some grand catalogue at my fingertips, starting in 1975…trying to discover “new music” in Kansas was a PITA, even with early MTV.

3 Likes

Winona Ryder Movie GIF by filmeditor

But what about…

Came out in the 1970s and is an early 60s nostalgia film…

I do think that kids today are more aware of that, generally speaking?

You have something there, I think. Seems like James Gleick addresses something along those lines in his book Time Travel: A History…?

I do think you’re right about being “post-future” and it probably lines up with the rise of postmodernism vs. modernism. I think Modernism was very invested in the concept of the future and progress and since postmodernism is questioning many of the core concepts of modernism, it would make sense to try and get beyond “the future”…

Back on topic!

4 Likes

Apropos…

Also…

4 Likes

Streaming services and YouTube are great. Now I can listen to all the cool álbuns I could only read about in American fanzines or european magazines such as New Music Express.

5 Likes

high quality GIF

1 Like

I can’t get this song out of my head.

1 Like

My best guess is it’s a bonus track from a limited edition release of this.

On tape cassette, obviously.

Phantasmagoria

3 Likes