Da Musicz

Lots of places are antithetical to punk, yet seem to have punk scenes. I’m sure Vegas has a raging scene, in part because it’s such a sort of plastic kind of city that caters to tourists… that’s bound to create young people looking for some cultural authenticity that they can be involved with.

Well, it’s closed, for one - I think it’s a clothing store or some such now. And besides… they re-opened it… in Vegas…

6 Likes

The clothing store shut down too - I heard about CBGBs moving years ago but did they ever open a venue? All I can find now is a website selling merch. In any event, that’s not the Bowery either but I guess it could never survive the gentrification anyway. And, things change and maybe I’m too negative. No disrespect was intended to any local punk scene in Las Vegas either.

That… I don’t know… I thought so, but maybe it’s closed now that Kristal passed away.

I’m generally inclined to agree about the kind of gentrification that gets beloved institutions closed down…

2 Likes

Sam Smith and Kim Petras did something “Unholy” and made a number one hit song. After months of teasing the song on TikTok, and creating viral moments in the process, “Unholy” was officially released on September 22, 2022.

Now, after multiple weeks on streaming platforms and radio airwaves, paired with a few live performances, the song has reached number one in the United States. The duo have now made history being the first nonbinary (Smith) and transgender (Petras) artists to have a number one hit on the Billboard Hot 100.

4 Likes

Also… she did a song with Elvira…

john ritter elvira GIF

5 Likes

For all you metal heads…

Here is their cover of Mexican Radio…

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

I’d also recommend this book…

ETA: and here is a link in case anyone has run out of free passes on the New Yorker:

https://archive.ph/YM92L

2 Likes

4 Likes
2 Likes

Also, Migos did a tiny desk (home) concert last year…

RIP Takeoff!

3 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Great song…

Is it just me, or does an artist being on 4AD almost always mean they’ll be great… I dunno, can you think of a bad 4AD band? I don’t think I can.

Another from that artist…

Wow… wow… just… wow. Kind of reminds me of Mirel Wagner? The starkness of it…

3 Likes

This is on my daughter’s playlist…

A great cover of a great song…

And…

3 Likes

Goddess.
ETA: Crank yr volume - it begins very quietly

5 Likes

from

6 Likes

Perhaps Stina Nordenstam meets Nick Cave?

1 Like