Da Musicz

First ever English-language song:

Note the album title.

4 Likes

Worth a listen for the BBC announcer’s reaction:

6 Likes

Now, now, not a 1,000 years, and not the first English song - Sumer is icumen in dates from the mid-13th century. I’m sure there were other popular songs in English before then, just not recorded (i.e., written down). What it is is the first example of written polyphony. Anywhere.

3 Likes

It’s Richard Thompson’s title, not mine. An interviewer asked him what his favorite song of the last 1000 years was, and he came up with his 1000 Years Of Popular Music concert. In the concert itself, he gives the date of this song as 1265 (I think… can’t really remember)

Here’s the full concert:

The man is a genius. He actually makes me like the Mills Brothers.

Then he does this completely unironic Britney Spears cover:

5 Likes

Very cover-able, too:

2 Likes

The date is about right. As for Thompson, anyone who calls his first solo album “Henry the Human Fly” is bound to be somewhat… eclectic.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Because, well, prom tux rockers and strange stage direction

2 Likes

Because, Zombies and more strange TV set direction.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Yes that IS popster Andy Williams

1 Like

Tossup between Talk Talk’s “New Grass” and this for what I want played at my funeral. Hell, why not both? AKA Ennio Morricone’s “Ecstasy of Flight in a Chevy Malibu”

4 Likes

(Canadian? Otherwise Not from the US? American with VPN? This promo video is for you

3 Likes

Autoplay.

:frowning:

Sorry. Running Opera Browser, and only DailyMotion has the promo video that isn’t regionally blocked. I couldn’t see where to adjust the “autoplay” setting.

3 Likes

A Richard Thompson album I not only do not own, but did not know existed…thank you!

3 Likes

I linked the full concert earlier. Definitely worth a listen. You would love it.

2 Likes

Already cued up…thanks!

2 Likes