Da Musicz

3 Likes

RIP, Sinead… :sob:

:sob:

[ETA]

3 Likes

Thanks for that. I was lucky enough to go to Ireland a couple of years ago, and to spend a week going from one side of the country to the other and back. The music really won me over. Came home with a book of Irish music for guitar, which is unopened on my shelf. I hadn’t realized before how many Irish Americans there are, and how tied Ireland is to the U.S. With a lot of sadness.

3 Likes

In case you hit a paywall:

https://archive.ph/9T80j

3 Likes
1 Like

New Arrested Development?

1 Like

He recorded this album in Haiti.

2 Likes

Interesting read:

3 Likes

Interesting… but that was just under 100 years ago now, and I doubt that the modern logic of plagiarism applies to songs back then? The older practice of sharing tunes for songs but changing the lyrics was more recent and the pre-sound recording era when that was the norm was in lived memory… So, while the song might sound similar, I don’t know we can think about it in same terms we do today, where the whole concept of copyright and intellectual property are far more ingrained in our understanding of culture than they would have been in the 30s…

2 Likes

Good point. Otherwise, we would owe Britain’s pubs for The Star Spangled Banner!

3 Likes

1 Like

[eta]

[eta]

Earlier weird stuff by the band…

[ETA]

3 Likes

16 Likes
12 Likes

I love Messer Chups!!! Got hip when a blog posted about their greatest hits comp, Cocktail Draculina.

Ages ago, I’d taught my bassist BF the Russian phrase очень хорошо (OH-chin KHAR-A-sho [“horrorshow” in A Clockwork Orange]), which means “excellent.” We were both best pleased that he remembered it when he performed at a show with Messer Chups. He said the bass she used that night was also V sexy, so when they were backstage together, he told Svetlana it was очень хорошо.
tophat-cool tophat-biggrin beer

5 Likes

I am loving the first two songs from St. Vincent’s new album that’s coming out soon. The one that came out today I really love.

6 Likes

Weighing Options Are You Sure GIF

4 Likes

Counterpoint, from 1981

6 Likes

I’m thinking War Pigs from 1970 myself.

5 Likes

A deceptively simple song, to be sure…

Same with the exploited, I think…

4 Likes