Da Musicz

This series introduced to me to so many great acts like Wye Oak, Sharon von Etten and Neutral Milk Hotel.

G W A R ~ Pet Shop Boys - YouTube (This one really stood out back then)

4 Likes

Also… unrelated… but important…

10 Likes

Saw Billy Strings last night at The Eastern in Atlanta. Incredible talent, and a great venue. Maybe the best guitar player I’ve ever seen.

From last night

This is from the night before.

3 Likes

That’s a pretty new venue… how is it?

Oh!

I think Bikini Kill is supposed to be playing there next year…?

1 Like

It’s mostly standing room, with some bench seats. But very cozy. We really liked it a lot. It was better to be up on the second level than the floor (we felt).

ETA: It looks like, @Mindysan33, he’s playing in Augusta at the Bell in February. We may go see him again, though I don’t know that venue. The crowd had a definite “Deadhead parking lot” vibe, with people holding up fingers asking for a “miracle,” and guys slinging doses and whippets out front of the venue. But there was a median age of around 30-ish. It was clear that people follow him like they followed the Dead. He mixes his sets up quite a bit, and the music style is very difficult to pin down. It was definitely strange to hear a 5-person bluegrass setup sound, at times, like a a screaming metal band. Those pedals work wonders, I guess.

1 Like

Listening to the above videos, I can see why the deadheads would like him! Good stuff, though guitar noodling is not much my cup of tea (never much been into the whole jam band scene generally speaking). I do like the bluegrass influence, though.

I always did like Midnight Rider… Allman brothers are always going to go over well for an ATL crowd…

I don’t much about Augusta venues, either.

1 Like
4 Likes

A friend of mine shared this with me, and I love it:

3 Likes

Apparently that is looping in my life partners head because of my The Unbelievable Truth addiction. I use it as a sleeping aid.

2 Likes

One of the songs in the story…

5 Likes

MBSounds on SoundCloud:

It’s a hobby - his current day job is Federal Minister of Justice in Chancellor Olaf Scholz’s cabinet.

2 Likes

As a child I used to find this track quite unsettling.

I was reminded of it the other day and looked it up on YouTube. Turns out I still find it unsettling.

3 Likes

It’s great though!

2 Likes

I’m totally confused by it. It’s disco so I hate it, but it’s sci-fi so I love it.

And it still freaks me out a little.

2 Likes

But so much disco is Sci Fi!

3 Likes
4 Likes

What if I told you all disco is sci-fi… and queer… and Black… ?

2 Likes
3 Likes

Our family had this on 8-track!

4 Likes

I never had much interest in disco because the first music that interested me as a child was punk/post punk, so I don’t know much about it. But I’m surprised to learn that all disco is sci-fi, queer and Black.

Black, absolutely. I’d agree with that. And certainly there was a crossover between disco and sci-fi. I’d guess because there was a resurgence of sci-fi in the wake of Star Wars (or maybe Star Wars was part of a more general resurgence of sci-fi) that was more or less coincident with disco? And queer, I guess so. High-energy, un-ironically happy dance music seems to be the vibe in any gay bar I’ve been in.

But does it really apply to all disco?

1 Like