Dad bets grossed-out son $10 to eat one piece of sushi without making grossout faces

Man, my kids, particularly my 10 year old, would eat the restaurant out of their inventory if I could afford it. The kids love sushi.

I’m still working on curry for them, but they will get there.

Yeah I’d probably never choose it here in Aus cause I’ve always been disappointed (plus it’s usually obscenely expensive) but in Japan uni (sea urchin) is unbelievably tasty. I have no idea what is different but it’s worlds apart.

My personal fav is hamachi (google says it’s Japanese amberjack). It’s the white flesh one with a hint of red and sometimes a bit of shiny silver tinge.

2 Likes

I’m kind of curious what kind of curry you’ve tried them on. As I can’t imagine any kid not loving Japanese style curry (aside from the the looks maybe).

It’s true. I had a good friend who dated a meat-and-potatoes man, and she reports he was boring in bed, too.

Mackerel is cat food.

1 Like

Not for my cats. They get a bowl of pho and a side omelette with hollandaise sauce and like it

5 Likes

Now that’s what I call the French Connection.

I think I’d be more curious why this kid thinks sushi is so gross. If you’re 65 and have always eaten your fish deep-fried with chips, I can understand being squeamish the first time someone gives you raw fish. But a kid this age had to be told that sushi was something totally gross – probably some kid on the playground who described it as the super grossest thing of all time. Good thing nobody told his sister.

3 Likes

Start them on vindaloo (don’t start them on vindaloo).

2 Likes

Really? They would deign to let us eat that?

I’ve eaten all kinds of wacky exotic sushi and seafood (including an entire tiny fish, fried, including head and crunchy little fins), but the one sushi bar item I’ve seen that I can’t stomach are raw fish eyeballs. Just can’t do it. Eyes are my limit.

1 Like

Haven’t I uploaded this before? It was delish.

3 Likes

Pretty easy: so we don’t get sick from bacteria or parasites. Modern technology is the only thing that lets people inland get sushi-quality food.

2 Likes

Not sure this is great parenting, as the pressure was being cranked up. Maybe get him to taste some rice, cucumber and fish individually, so he knows the main elements are not horrible, or even better, get him to make some sushi himself?

Some years ago, I took my son and his 11 year old friend out to the museum, and we went to a kaiten (conveyer belt) sushi restaurant for lunch. My son’s friend had never had sushi before, so I said just take anything that takes your fancy from the belt and try it. If you don’t like it, we’ll eat it. He could also try anything off my son’s and my plate.

The two boys ate without fuss, talking about Star Wars and Pokemon most of the time. What I didn’t find out until some days later was that this boy was normally a really fussy eater. Apparently, his mum nearly fell off her chair when he come home and said he’d eaten and really liked sushi. I guess it was a situation where he could see the food being prepared, he could try whatever he liked, and he had a friend next to him devouring plates of food. Or he was just ravenous.

6 Likes

I think I’d be more curious why this kid thinks sushi is so gross

Might have something to do with how big a dick his dad is about it.

4 Likes

Yeah, people? This is not funny. This is a dickhead parent pressuring his kid to do something that the kid obviously finds very distressing. Not cool, not funny, not okay. Bad parenting.

@Tualha @rhizome @tw1515tw: while I’d say this is probably not the way I would parent, I would hesitate to say this is bad parenting. I try very hard not to judge the highly individual circumstances of raising any child but my own, and I think others should do the same.

5 Likes

I’ve given urchin several tries at different places. Always smells and tastes like low tide to me – not a fan.

Can’t eat octopus – those guys are too awesome to put in my tummy.

Mackerel, though, is fantastic.

3 Likes

A fair point. But the fact that this guy chose to record and post this video makes me think he was not so much concerned with helping his kid overcome a food aversion as with amusing others at his kid’s expense.

Mackerel that is anything less than Super Fresh is indeed cat food. But if you can get it right out of the water (within the day) it is awesome. Spanish mackerel for smoking or pan sauté of filets, King Mackerel for cutting into steaks and grilling or sushi can’t be beat. No overpowering taste or smell.

1 Like