Dad bets grossed-out son $10 to eat one piece of sushi without making grossout faces

We have a ton of good (at least, reportedly good - I’m not a fan but my sushi snob friends say it’s great) all you can eat sushi restaurants around my area. $15 lunch, and $23 dinner. And quite a variety of rolls and sashimi, too. The cooked options are generally not as good, in my opinion, but they’re palatable enough for me to enjoy a meal with my sushi loving friends.

Chances are good that it was a kid on the playground, yeah. Which is why you gotta introduce them to foods like this earlier than that kid’s age. My 6 year old is already at an age where he’s a bit iffy about strange foods (though he could eat an entire shrimp ring on his own, if we let him, so there’s promise there), whereas my 3 year old will try everything at least once.

Also… I now have Fish Heads stuck in my head, so it’s only fair that other people do too:

Eat them up, yum!

5 Likes

Coated in oatmeal and fried in butter, served with lots of lemon wedges and a pint of Deuchar’s.

2 Likes

Some kids are just that way. My five year old is just not adventurous when it comes to food. If she tries something new once a month, we’re lucky…and we’re talking basics, not anything exotic. On the other hand, I’ll try just about anything, and can never recall being negative towards any type of food around her.

Best sushi I’ve ever had is still this ¥100/plate hole in the wall place we found in Osaka. Beats the crap out of any $10/piece sushi place in the US.

I couldn’t do the sea urchin or octopus sucker either…

I had to look up Deuchar’s. That is a new one to me. I’m going to have to have you send me some so I can get the full effect.

It’s a Scottish staple, much like porridge oats and fried things. Good stuff.

Word. While I mostly agree, I did go to one place in Koenji (Tokyo) that was reasonably priced (something like what you typically pay in the west) but blew every other sushi place out of the water. No trains, no pre-made, just a chef behind the counter to make you what you order on the spot. Those paper things at the top is the menu, which changes daily depending on what the fish markets had. I think they also had an eating challenge deal… it was like 50+ plates or something and you eat free.

Also, if you’re in Japan again I encourage you to try the sea urchin. It looks gross, but is insanely tasty. I also forgot about the uber-disgusting kani miso (variously translated as crab brain/liver/guts) but that one I don’t believe I’ve tried.

Of course the kid is grossed out, look how long that thing has been sitting out! You’re supposed to eat it as soon as the itamae puts it in front of you.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.