Dad encourages his little girl hauling in 5 pound bass with her Barbie fishing pole

SEO? What’s the viewcount? Over 2million views in 2 days. That’s pretty viral. I’m sure there’s a lot of people trying to snag its coattails.

2 Likes

Apparently Barbie’s clan likes short shorts.

1 Like

This must have been exciting! I went on many fishing excursions with my dad and brothers, and still have not caught a single fish my entire life.

4 Likes

There needs to be a fishing derby where contestants can only use Barbie fishing rods and the tackle and bait that comes in the Barbie fishing starter kit that you see at sports stores.

6 Likes

Barbie and Ken are also apparently 23rd-century Starfleet officers.

7 Likes

But wait I thought gendered kids gear was teh evils.

2 Likes

Firstly, I think there is a difference between the phenomenon of gendered toys and specific instances. Unless she is raised alone in the woods full time, she is already familiar with gendered toys as a concept and, like it or not, many children buy into that enthusiastically. Of course as a parent you can overrule your child’s wishes and their peers’ expectations to make a point, but that is always a balancing act.

Secondly, I don’t see any endorsement of the Barbie fishing pole. Whatever you think of the pole I think it doesn’t really take away from the moment. If you want to argue that the video should not be given any publicity because it normalizes the existence of Barbie fishing poles, then I am not sure that’s a hill worth dying on.

2 Likes

It isn’t “a fishing pole for GIRLS ONLY”, it’s a fishing pole with Barbie on it. Boys can like Barbie, too. Girls can like Iron Man, for that matter.

2 Likes

I so want this to be real. But that fish looks about half dead. Fish tend to flop around this one just lays there.

It did fight before landing, and it appears to be a warm day, both exhausting factors for a fish.

(Cold water holds more O2.)

1 Like

Are you responding to me or are you responding to the dumbass on pintrest that I linked to?

1 Like

Young stocked fish are dumber and weaker than older fish who hatched into the naturally hostile environment they live in.

You can’t discount the differences between the disoriented young newcomers and the experienced pros.

3 Likes

Now let’s see her gut it.

7 Likes

Teach them early. The squirmishness about those things is mostly cultural crap.

3 Likes

I’ll remember that the next time someone leaves a gutpile on my bedpillow. “Cultural crap!” Also disgusting greasy shit inside my ear but never mind about that. Hey, free fish.

1 Like

Yummy nommy extra-fresh free fish! :smiley:

…thankyouverymuch, now I am hungry…

Your brethren disapprove.

5 Likes

…sorry, I have only one like! :smiley:

…brethren or not, tasty!

1 Like

Good question. I’m just saying that Barbie is less gendered than you’d think, I guess?

1 Like

“Yeoman, coffee please, black. Spock, you and ensign Ken go to the surface and get me those readings. And Ken, change your shirt. You will look so much better in red, like your… very lovely sister. The yeoman… is… your sister, right? Anyways, get to the surface. No need for phasers.”

4 Likes