Dad joke turns into a Hugh Mungus meme

I get the feeling that Hugh is a bit of a dick, but holy cow, that woman is a lunatic!

2 Likes

That’s the fun thing. It died naturally the first time, but now it’s a meme because it’s a dead meme (much like Harambe RIP.) Never underestimate the internet’s ability to go meta.

My personal favorite incarnation is the Harambe Illuminati Conspiracy Theory ASMR Drinking Game which is probably the most internet title for any video ever.

3 Likes

My husband used to work with a guy named Ben Tober.

6 Likes

Well if you do that I hope they’ll call you out on your faulty reasoning.

Lots of people still use the swastika in it’s original, non-nazi, form btw. Far more people than ever used it in Germany I would have thought.

4 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

But it was coöpted, so now it’s racist in all contexts, right? Allowing other uses just enables the bad user, as I understand it. So if the Daily Show does another Harambe joke again, or I hear it on one of the podcasts I listen to, I might have to write a strongly-worded letter.

1 Like

Sorry, I think my sarcasm detector’s off this morning; is this a serious statement or one in jest?

Allowing deplorable people carte blanche on culture, where all they need to do is post a picture of Mickey Mouse with the caption “Jews did 9/11 to take your guns away” and then you need to give up all your favorite Disney movies strikes me as a touch mad. The Swastika became deplorable not only because the Nazis used it, but because pretty much only the Nazis used it. The symbol in eastern mysticism was different and few people knew about it then (or today); the only time you would’ve seen the Swastika as we know it before the Nazi regime is, ironically, in old synagogues. I’m sure the irony wasn’t lost on the Jews suffering under the regime.

That’s not to say that you can’t have something straight-up racist, of course, has pretty much lost any ironic connotations that it had on the first place. Trump supporters (or if we’re being uncharitable, possibly opposition wanting to make the Trump supporters look bad) have been putting stickers of this up around my campus:

The pic was probably in bad taste to begin with, so it’s a lot easier to taint, although I say probably because I do really like the idea of reducing racists to something to be mocked, and it was great seeing the people not in on the joke try to use it seriously until that became the default usage.

So basically following this trajectory, you could probably argue that about Harambe once he dies down a bit more.

EDIT:
Reply confirms that my sarcasm detector was in fact working, still going to leave it up.

1 Like

Can we get a ruling on the field as to whether this is sarcasm or Poe’s law? The consistency of the faulty logic seems to imply sarcasm and the use of the phrase “strongly-worded letter” would normally seal it for me, but the second post doubling down rather than smiling about the joke is confusing.

6 Likes

Heh, I guessed so. Apparently too meta…

2 Likes

Especially if the subject is humongous!

1 Like

All other things being equal, at least he didn’t claim his name was ‘Mike Hunt’…

1 Like

Oh…I KNOW THAT ONE!!!

If I were her, I’d just stay calm and troll the everloving shit out of the guy. I’ve seen videos of him post Hugh Mungus. This is not a smart man. The conversation would start with Hugh Mungus, go right downhill from there, and if I remained calm and professional, I’d have a video to show the world what an idiot this guy really is.

“Hello; can I speak to Mike Hunt, please?”

8 Likes

Why would you want to show this guy to be an idiot? He’s just some guy who’s daughter was on heroin, and now isn’t thanks to some people who he wanted to thank. Is this really a person who deserves to be attacked?

11 Likes
8 Likes

Goddammit, this thread made me waste an hour trying to find a punk song from 1986 (shazam is really useless for this stuff, and google is useless because every idiot and his dog is using this as a handle plus some video game called Dark Souls). Everyone involved is fortunate his name wasn’t

5 Likes

Possibly she’s a double agent for Worldstar.

1 Like

If you were attempting sarcasm, maybe try adding a /s after to indicate that’s what you were aiming for. Since we’re on a message board and can only read your words, we can’t see the nuance that would normally go along with a sarcastic comment. Since tons of people say shit like this in earnest all the time, it can be hard to know when someone is seriously making a comment like this or not, when we don’t personally know you or can’t see you except for your avatar.

11 Likes

Perhaps.I would posit that the attempt may have failed in this case because the claims she was making were self-evident horseshit to anyone who actually witnessed what was going on.

3 Likes