Dad joke turns into a Hugh Mungus meme

You know, it’s that stuff all those sex tapes are made out of.

2 Likes

The context of what I was responding to was the statement “Like Harambe, the Hugh Mungus meme works for all political persuasions.” Right now the Trump folks are gleefully making harambe one of their Twitter handshakes, so I disagree.

Well that’s exactly why I was disagreeing with you. Pointing out Trump folks are using it doesn’t disprove that the meme works for all political persuasions, in fact it’s evidence, alongside all the other evidence of it being used by non-Trumpists, that it does work for all political persuasions. You’d have to show that following an uptake in racist uses of the meme there was a corresponding decrease in non-racist uses, and that hasn’t happened, if anything it’s the opposite, with non-racist Harambe use far outnumbering racist use (which isn’t surprising as racists are in the minority).

4 Likes
17 Likes

The important thing is the bunker has been stopped (or at least put on hold).

5 Likes

I can’t really follow that bit of acrobatic political spin with anything, really, so I’ll just say have fun with Harambe, sir.

7 Likes

Nope, I’m pissed at her as well. There’s a bunch of stuff online calling her a crazy feminist, crazy SJW, etc, when there’s no evidence that she’s any of those things. Apparently feminist and SJW now mean “woman who throws hissy fit at man over stupid shit.” A feminist is supposed to be someone who fights for women’s rights, not trivializes them.

11 Likes

I’m impressed by how calm this man seems. I do feel a little disappointed he didn’t accuse Madame Shrill of body-shaming.

I’m humongous too, and I feel his struggle up the hill, just to have to walk down it again.

10 Likes

You know what’s inappropriate here? Oh, the huge man-titty.

8 Likes

There is an old joke

How many feminists does it take the change a light bulb?

THAT’S NOT FUNNY!

He has a point and a valid perspective. As does she. And I am inclined to come down on the side of WFT do we need a hardened cop shop in North Seattle? We have become too polarized.

5 Likes

She can be a feminist. I don’t care. I’m uninterested in the extreme when it comes to what people call themselves. I throw serious side-eye at people who think that all feminists everywhere need to be 100% perfect and consistent with each other. But I’m convinced she acted in bad faith, and that unacceptable.

12 Likes

Someone needs a humongous Hitachi to take the hysteria away from her.

2 Likes

Deranged person looking for a fight vs. calm person taking the piss out of him while refusing to be baited is a comic bit that never gets old, but it has to be done carefully.

10 Likes

As Margaret Thatcher might have said: Hugh Mungus if you want to, the lady’s not for mungusing.

5 Likes

eh, no thanks. harambe is a terrible meme.

3 Likes

Why is it so imperative that people must give her their full name? That’s one part of the story I really don’t understand.

11 Likes

She’s likely been at enough of these hearings that she noticed the journalists asking for the full names and spelling of the names of people who consent to an interview. Since she’s nuts and/or acting in bad faith she’s trying to imitate that to give herself a sheen of credibility and authority when accosting people.

7 Likes

I meant they came by their opinions of the police station honestly. I don’t have an opinion on her impression that it was sexual harassment. These are complicated times we live in.

2 Likes

The aim of sexual harassment is to belittle and dismiss women. She had the opportunity to ask him questions regarding the Seattle Police or police violence in general, and she didn’t, she got hung up on a childish joke and made that the issue. So she sort of did the job for him.

There is also a tendency for people to have this “take no prisoners” attitude with something that offends them, like how fundamentalist Christians think Halloween leads to devil worship. This guy making a childish joke does not automatically mean he is a sexist predator, and she could have asked him more questions and made an informed decision instead of screaming at him.

“Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.” --Freud

11 Likes

And once something is picked up by deplorable people for deplorable ends, no one else should use it anymore. cf swastikas

If they persist, they are at the very least enabling, if not supporting those ends.

The next time I see a mention of Harambe I will be sure to call them out on it.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s quite how it happened…

3 Likes