Daft Punk splits

Daft Punk is dead, long live Daft Punk.

1 Like

My partner is right there with you.

1 Like

They’re just moving aside for KLF. Not The KLF, just KLF. Names are important. Do you believe that?

A little piece of my irrational hope that Tron 3 would happen and they would do the soundtrack just died.

3 Likes

The irony is that when pitch correction is accomplished relatively transparently in post-production, the listener is less likely to notice it. Celemony makes a good editor for this. But it’s a shit load of work that almost makes the producer want to get the vocalists singing lessons instead.

Auto-Tune’s widespread popularity came because it was the first to automate reasonably accurate real-time pitch correction, allowing under-trained vocalists to express themselves musically. I will absolutely agree that it’s over-used in professional music, but sometimes it’s intentionally used as an effect to good effect.

As someone who enjoys making music and isn’t tone-deaf so can hear how badly I sing, I appreciate the ability to edit pitch in post so I can add my own occasional vocals to the mix. I sometimes use real-time pitch correction just to sound things out, but for that I prefer Waves Tune to Auto-Tune.

Just my 2¢, YMMV.

7 Likes

Makes me think of this:

2 Likes

After all this time, the only album I consistently go back to is Homework.

Classic.

2 Likes

Dude.

Beep Boop.
KLF is gonna rock you.

But you already knew that.

As much as i love Daft Punk what’s been scratching my itch for a few years on that type of music it’s been the group Justice. I also had the privilege to see them live years ago and they were amazing, seeing Daft Punk seems like a unobtainable goal and i sure as hell was not gunna shell the money to go to Coachella.

3 Likes

Justice is great!

2 Likes

I saw Justice in Philly a number of years back – now that was a fun show!

I’ll add that this Daft Punk breakup news made me feel the feels a bit. I remember the first time I heard Around the World at Buzz in DC. I was always more of a techno guy, but over the years the French house style has grown on me, and Daft Punk’s Discovery (and Interstella 555) hold a special place in my heart.

I also really dig Tron: Legacy and just absolutely ate up their part in it, both as characters in the movie, and the soundtrack. Here’s to hoping they’ll consider getting back together, at least temporarily, if Tron 3 ever gets green-lit (a man can dream!)

2 Likes

Friend of mine just spent ages editing, pitch and time correcting vocalists for a musical. They all recorded themselves separately. It’s amazing that they could fix it, and Celemony is just amazing, but yeah, singing lessons would work in non pandemic times.

The vocoder carrier signal effect of pitch correction turned up very high (ever since Cher’s Believe which was the first high profile song to use autotune in that manner) can die a death as the current equivalent of 80s gate reverb snare drums. I just turn off any track with either. So boring, so done to death, and just grating at this stage.

3 Likes

Editor me: I should really sign singing me up for some vocal lessons.

1 Like

They’re so good, i love their live albums. A Cross The Universe being a particular favorite, also their music videos are generally pretty dope but the one for Heavy Metal is amazing especially since it features the marching band from a well known southern school (edit: It is Norfolk University, forgot who it was until i looked up it)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.