Dan Rather: The number of press praising Trump's Syria air strikes “as 'presidential' is concerning”

Surely he could interview Jane Fonda? Maybe he could ask her about the long tail of being trapped in time? How that works out for war and peace, and if children do well when they fight their fathers battles?

2 Likes

I would say it’s relatively presidential.

In that launching missiles has been his most presidential action so far.

It’s not much of a horse race.

5 Likes

James Madison’s opportunistic land grab for Canada, thinking that as Britain was fighting Napoleon the French would intervene on the US side?

It resulted in the burning of the White House.

8 Likes

There is certainly no shortage of Republicans, or of Democrats, who think that the US military should be deployed against any country* who does things that show up badly on the evening news.

*Any small country, that is. The likes of Russia or China may act without fear of repercussions.

8 Likes

Abu Ivanka al-Amreeki sure sounds presidential:

1 Like

Dan Rather is supposed to be a journalist. Ethical behavior and adherence to journalistic standards are almost the whole of the job description. The fact that he is dishonest is not irrelevant when evaluating the value of statements he makes.

3 Likes

Courage

3 Likes

Kenneth, what is the frequency?

7 Likes

I got a call from the school today that my kid was acting presidential…

18 Likes

True words.

I’m so sorry. How long is the suspension for?

17 Likes

I hope the same people who are concerned and outraged would also have been concerned and outraged if Hillary had won the election and done the same thing–as she promised to do. Sure Trump is bad, but Hillary was too. We need better options.

1 Like

Well, the Republican party took a hard right turn since, so he’s increasingly liberal, relatively, without having to change positions.

Trump’s presidency is so far out of the norm, it’s terrifying. The media really, really wants him to step up and act like the adult he’s not capable of being. The alternative is too awful to contemplate - he can’t even navigate a quiet stretch of the “honeymoon” period without it being a self-inflicted disaster - how’s he going to respond to an actual crisis? He isn’t, and reporters know that, and to make matters worse, they must also be feeling some complicity in getting him elected, since they dropped the ball and engaged in absurd false equivalencies. So they jump on any sign, no matter how much they have to “interpret” it, that things are getting better.

8 Likes

825MHz. Man, don’t you know anything!??

Well it is presidential. Hasn’t anyone read any Chomsky? Every US president has to have a foreign campaign or two…Trump is just warming up here, rest assured.

He’s also trying to distract people from all the other stuff…a rather long, distasteful list.

Plus, when he talked about “Children of God” he was appealing to the heartland. All perfectly targetting, down to the word. Invoke “God” and you can do whatever you want. I noticed a real attempt to look Reaganesque in that speech, mannerisms, words, attitude. Reagan is the one to emulate, he’s figured that out. Expect a lot more of this.

Sadly, the ones he’s already killed with drones must not be God’s ones, eh?

4 Likes

Where was his sympathy for the women and children that were murdered under his watch in Yemen during that botched raid?

10 Likes

But that was different, see… bad hombres! /s

5 Likes

Huh? That’s a new one for me, and so pardon my rudeness as I ask for a source. It would be EXTREMELY unlikely for a network news anchor (back when there were only 3 and they were the same 3 for decades) to have endorsed a candidate.

1 Like

I’d like to believe you. What assurances can you give me that you’ve never lied about something?

8 Likes

Also:

9 Likes