Daniel Radcliffe is amazing in the teaser trailer for "Weird: The Al Yankovic Story"

As “Close Personal Friend Of Al” I’m eager to see this!

2 Likes

Damn right. Anyone who has ever been to a wedding reception in Northern Ohio knows that state law practically requires that at least one polka song be played, regardless of whether or not anyone there is actually Polish.

3 Likes

As long as they sneak the real guy in there at some point. He’s only 81, and I’m sure they could digitally de-age him (perhaps to comedic effect) if they felt like it.

3 Likes

Thats the Sci-fi con? I know someone going to that this year. Sounds fun.

Man - I loved Dr Demento when I found him late Sunday Nights on the radio.

4 Likes

clears throat

5 Likes

Accordions have been to some dark places; but one cannot blame the instrument for the politics of the performer.

1 Like

Al is Weird!

I got the beard and squeaky horn, it’s a start.

I have to ask: does every culture produce one person per generation who is wildly gifted in the music department and absolutely nails it in matters of unorthodox humor?

(In Germany, that would be Helge Schneider, I think.)

3 Likes

Did Weird Al approve this?

1 Like

weird al yankovic GIF by IFC

He announced Radcliffe playing him, so yes.

12 Likes

He is producing.

Toby Huss is playing his dad.

5 Likes

I saw the trailer, and all I could see was “Harry Potter in a curly wig and moustache”, but I’m pretty sure that will last about 3 minutes of the movie before I just accept it. looking forward to this.

2 Likes

They’re very nearly the same height.

1 Like

Honestly? There’s scads of material to work with. I honestly think the best approach would be to go half-and-half throughout: play it straight and dramatic or slapstick surreal and you don’t know from scene to scene what you’re going to get.
Al’s a pretty compelling dude, and he’s got a lot of heart, and a serious look at him as a person, not just a persona, would be really strong material. Then layer the surreal on so many ways so that you can’t be 100% sure they’re not messing with you.

3 Likes

When I heard about this project, I totally thought that Dr. Demento should just play himself, and have no one draw any attention to the fact that he’s 80 years old. But, yeah, as noted here’s hoping he at least scores a cameo at some point.

5 Likes
8 Likes

This is a great article that the New York Times did about him a couple years back. It’s truly an enjoyable read.

6 Likes

Denmark: Victor Borge
Britain: Bill Bailey

Though, you never see any two of them in the same room at the same time…

10 Likes

If they tried to be subtle about it, that would drive my wife bonkers. She has a facial-recognition super-power. She takes a few seconds to identify actors in deeper costumes than that.

3 Likes