DARE: feel-good bullshit that made it more likely kids would take drugs

Ironically, I think I got the information-based version, despite being in Davis County, Utah.

Davis High had the highest percentage (in the world) of students attending LDS Seminary as one of their High School periods.

1 Like

“This is your new foster child.”

“Oh, how did he end up in the system?”

“Well, he caught his parents smoking a joint and called the police, so they are in prison now.”

“You know, we don’t have space for another child in the house.”

“But just a minute ago, you said…”

7 Likes

The information based one is problematic as well. Also in New Mexico, during the 1980s Just Say No program the information about how to sniff paint and what it does was promulgated. Prior to the program the only spray paint problem in the city was graffiti, only after the program did paint sniffing become a problem.

1 Like

You know, that gives me an idea for a screenplay.

More of a Cop Drama plot that a film, I guess could work either way.

15 years after suffering prolonged abuse in the hands of an uncaring and sometimes deliberately abusive foster-care system, Simone, who was torn from the home of her cannabis smoking parents after being encouraged to turn them in by the DARE councillors at her school, goes on a revenge spree.
She doesn’t kill her victims, however, just subjects them to prolonged, harrowing ordeals by dosing them with massive quantities of cannabis concentrate.

The twist is that even the person sized slabs of THC that she intravenously pumps into the terrified and hallucinating DAREers are still nowhere near the LD50 amount of cannabis and the councillors are in no danger whatsoever of overdosing.
Of course the councillors, after repeating the DARE mantra all these years, have internalised the propaganda. Believing all of the misinformation and lies they push, and thinking that their predicament is a death sentence they, on the brink of what they mistakenly consider to be their last moments, finally break through to reality and admit, to themselves and to Simone, that they knew all along that they were destroying families for their own moral self-aggrandisation, and that the drug war was predicated on useless, feel-good nonsense.

Simone administers a safe dose of sleep medication and releases them from their bonds, leaving tasty drinks and food for when they wake up, cleansed and healthy, from their ultimately safe, but inwardly terrifying ordeal.

Hey @Donald_Petersen, can we use this as a background story for a character in some way?

4 Likes

Needs a third act.

1 Like

As they leave the abandoned warehouse where Simone imprisoned them, the DAREers are crushed to death by a bale of cannabis that falls out of the sky, having been dropped from a smugglers plane on a CIA funded, black-budget, drugs and weapons run?

3 Likes

And a wise-cracking female lead.

1 Like

I remember how our Latin teacher told us how important it is to keep your weed consumption within reasonable limits because back in the day he knew several people who couldn’t handle it and changed their major from Latin to politics.

7 Likes

I got a nice Cease and Desist letter due to offering the following T-shirt:

This was during the Daryl Gates years, so I ceased and desisted rather than have a SWAT team in my back yard.

7 Likes

The government can’t own IP. On what grounds did they justify the C&D?

The trademark for DARE was owned by DARE America, which was not a government agency. Though LAPD chief Daryl Gates had started the program, it wasn’t technically owned by LAPD. DARE America owned all the trademarks and materials, I’m sure it was a cash cow for someone. They had a third party group doing the trademark enforcement.

The shitty thing about this was that they were intimidating people doing parodies by sending off-duty officers to intimidate people with the shirts, usually confiscating the materials, and at least one retailer offering the shirts was brought up on charges for counterfeiting. This was of course absurd, but they managed to delay the case for months on continuations until finally dropping the charges the literal day before a judge was to see them.

More on the case here: http://www.druglibrary.org/think/~jnr/darehand.htm

I ended up with attorney Bruce Margolin helping me draft a response letter telling them we’d comply and that further pursuit over such a small number of shirts would just constitute harassment, and heard nothing more from them.

3 Likes

Still, the employment of an outside org to protect their copyright is corrupt as fuck.

3 Likes

It was corrupt as fuck. They were using law enforcement officers to enforce something that would have generally been a civil matter. And DARE no doubt lined the pockets of a lot of people with government anti-drug funds, with no real oversight about whether the program was effective.

It just wasn’t practical to fight it further, the police were all too eager to blur the lines between their official law enforcement duties and this chickenshit trademark claim, and I was unable to get any interest from the local ACLU chapter. Living within the LA City Limits at the time, I felt I was overexposed to potential recrimination.

3 Likes

Fair enough.

did u know: Utah County has the highest rates of opiate abuse in the state

Make of that what you will.

1 Like

I don’t know how long it will take for Australia to legalise it, but I’ll be waiting too. If I can still be bothered to try it by the time it’s legal.

1 Like

I dunno man, using the default MS font probably should be a crime…

The relevant information iws provided by twistmeyer below, but the government CAN own IP. The government can get trade marks and patents for material that it has created. Now COPYRIGHT protection is not available in the U.S. for “works of the U.S. Government,” but this is usually interpreted as only applying to works by U.S. Government employees…the government certainly enforces copyrights in material that was created by contractors for it…(and that is potentially an issue IMHO)

Man nobody posted this yet?

Just come visit Seattle!

1 Like