Young man succumbs to beatniks' peer pressure, smokes pot, gets a D on a test

Originally published at: Young man succumbs to beatniks' peer pressure, smokes pot, gets a D on a test | Boing Boing

2 Likes
10 Likes

9 Likes

Source:
The Jaded Review’s Guide to Hippie Watching in North America

2 Likes

Such nonsense brings back fond memories of teachers and law enforcement trying to tell us miscreants about drugs. Use LSD and jump off buildings. Marijuana led to heron. Use drugs and become a criminal or a prostitute. Fun times.

4 Likes

I don’t remember where my first joint came from, probablly my brother’s stash, but within a year I was buying and selling pot like crazy.

At the time I also attended a lot of parties where cocaine, heroin, mescaline (very popular at the time), and various other hard core drugs were present.

What kept me away from those drugs were those stupid scared straight type movies or movies about what drugs can do to you shown in the 70s in grade school followed by a lecture from a cop.

Scary movies about huffing and shooting heroin may have saved my life.

But not a single one of those movies kept me from being an alcoholic by the time I was 17 because alcohol was just jim dandy and legal.

7 Likes

Featuring Tom Hanks, to boot!

5 Likes

A classic. Always loved the line “Forget it man, and get with the countdown. Shake this square world, and blast off for kicksville.” (at 12:33)

5 Likes

That man is now Jamie Dimon?

2 Likes

9 Likes

I want that in cross-stitch to hang on my wall.

4 Likes

I once saw this anti-drug pamphlet where the kid looks at his report card and it’s D’s for every class.

"Alright! No F’s!" is the caption.

4 Likes

Anecdotal situation here, but I managed to graduate Cum Laude from university (without cheating or rich parents) while smoking pot practically every day. :man_shrugging:

13 Likes

He still passed!

5 Likes

Don’t worry everybody! At least he managed to kick the habit (?) and become a paramedic! :wink:

2 Likes

I’m getting a “D” grade - right now!

3 Likes

“I’ll have what he’s smoking!”

1 Like

2 Likes

Tom Hanks!

1 Like

I was just thinking this needs the RiffTrax treatment, but it already has!