Dark times ahead!

If you think we’re in a horrible timeline now, try being a Jew in Eastern Europe in the late 30s or 40s, or black in a slave state in the American South prior to emancipation.

I make this point not as an attack, but to provide a frame of reference, and hopefully some degree of antidote to this notion that we live in “the worst times ever,” which is hardly the case. Yes we have big problems, no, they are absolutely not the worst humanity has faced.

Hell, humans have experienced major climate change events even, without modern tech, and still lived on. And yes we have the rise of fascism in our world — but it hardly matches the rise of Japanese and German and Italian (etc.) fascism from the 20th Century.

I really think we need to get off this “we’re in the woooorst timeline” tip — I really don’t think it serves us well, and in fact is likely what the “dark forces” are trying to coax us into believing, this reinforcing the idea that it’s unstoppable. No, we can absolutely defeat idiocy in our age — if we’re up to it.

/endrant

:slight_smile:

9 Likes