Darth Vader hot sauce on the way

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/20/darth-vader-hot-sauce-on-the-way.html

3 Likes

Truff sauces are really great, and for some reason (space fascism isn’t all that cool) Darth Vader remains a favorite villain of mine.

I’ll probably join you in succumbing to the corporate synergies unleashed in this sauce.

3 Likes

darth vader GIF

8 Likes

why?!
cold hot sauce? if made correctly, hot sauce should be shelf stable. if one truly likes hot sauce, it will get used up before going bad.
this Truff offering, however, does nothing for me. truffles? how precious. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

tumblr_mma4xf7KGx1rp1jcjo1_500-316663181

7 Likes

M7k-YR-ezgif.com-added-text (1)

10 Likes

Damnit I signed up on the waitlist. Goodbye, monies.

3 Likes

Throw Away Make It Rain GIF

8 Likes

I guess D.V. was the obvious choice, but I feel like they didn’t pay attention to how he operates (demonstrated here in the form of a silly meme.)

12 Likes

I don’t even go that nuts for truffles, but capsaicin does not really lend itself to enjoying the subtle flavors of funghi.

4 Likes

I can definitely understand where you’re coming from on this. I’ve found that Truff has found a really nice balance in their sauces. I think they work really well.

I’ve also found that Melinda’s does a bangup job at a fraction of the price if you wanted to explore the pairing further.

2 Likes

The source of a Sith Lord’s sauce.

1 Like

ezgif.com-add-text

2 Likes

I bought a bottle when they were selling it at Costco a year or so ago. I actually didn’t like it very much. To each their own, though. But this makes it easy for me to pass on the Vader sauce.

1 Like

FWIW - TRUFF’s hotsauces are MASSIVELY overpriced. If you look at the ingredient list, they put “Truff chili blend” as the 1st ingredient. But that has actual truffles as the smallest percentage ingredient. They THEN have the rest of the ingredients, which includes olive oil “infused with black truffle essence”. i.e. petroleum derived faux truffle flavoring. That means 1g of truffle shaved into a 500 vat would be legally compliant.

But if you actually LIKE the flavor (which I do), you can easily and VERY cheaply replicate the flavor of Truff with Valentina or tapatio hot sauce, agave nectar and the cheapest grocery store “truffle” infused olive oil you can find (you won’t need much). The ratios will vary depending on whether you’re replicating the black, red or white. hotsauce 3: agave 1: oil 1 is my mix, which is close to the red.

As for the scaminess of truffles and truffle oil, google is your friend, but this is a nice overview.

1 Like

I used to live pretty close to prime truffle territory, they’re expensive, too many dogs die to get them, and they’re basically mushrooms on crack.

That said, they’re quite nice on eggs or tagliatelle, but I’m not spending money for them (unless they’re grating fresh slices on my plate).

2 Likes

a good quality truffle grated onto eggs or pasta is lovely. But a tasteless chinese truffle that’s been soaked in 2,4-dithiapentane or oil with it is the one funkiest element of the flavor and nothing else.

It’s the difference between a freshly roast habanero or home fermented hot sauce and pure capsaicin from bear spray mixed with water.

I think that’s your problem. Capsaicin isn’t water soluble, try diluting your bear spray with canola oil.

5 Likes

A nice bear spray vinaigrette?

6 Likes

A bit of mustard to assist the emulsion.

3 Likes