Das Keyboard, a chunky, clicky, satisfying keyboard

I previously had a Das Keyboard professional 3, but have since upgraded to a Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2, which is a 60% keyboard with Topre switches and PBT keycaps. When I am typing with my HHKB, I often type between 10 and 15 words per minute quicker than with a Das Keyboard. I find the Topre switches to have a superior tactile feel than Cherry MX Blue switches. This should not detract from Blue switches, though, as they are very, very good - I just prefer Topre switches

For that price, am I supposed to break it within a year by spilling some classy imported beer on it, or will the domestic stuff still do?

4 Likes

Iā€™m typing this on a Cooler Master TKL with whatever the stiffest clicky cherry switches are. I believe they are green switches. Anyhow the Model M, which I love, was too big and missing a modifier key as Iā€™m on a Mac. So it sits on a shelf now. I wish pckeyboard.com/unicomp would resurrect the Model M Micro or whatever it was called and add the third modifier key. I think they are missing a huge (for them) market as I (and others) would drop $150 without hesitation on a USB or bluetooth TKL with buckling spring switches.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a bit of an understatement. Iā€™ve got one of the quiet ones and itā€™s still quite loud. (I love it though. Feels awesome, and I got the unlabeled Darth Vader Special, so it looks cool as hell too. IMO, these are totally worth the money.)

Dude. DUUUUUUDE. Did you not get the memo about the Darth Vader Special? This is expensive techie-hipster paraphernalia. You better be spilling high end microbrew on it. High end domestic microbrew, and it better not be some lame lager. Better go with some obnoxiously bitter IPA or an overhopped imperial stout.

(In case anyone missed it: itā€™s actually impossible to over hop a beer. Also, I am, in fact, a techie hipster dipshit, so yā€™know, I spill beer on my too expensive keyboard every other week. Comment typed lovingly on said expensive keyboard.)

1 Like

I looked, and something about them seemed ugly. Iā€™m on a Mac, and proper Fornminne symbols would be nice.

I have one of their blank keyboards, from when they first came out. It was about $80, IIRC. Worth every penny when you watch someone try to enter a complex alphanumeric password.

4 Likes

I have a Ducky G2 Pro with blue switches. $130 Aussie dollars and worth every cent. Once you leave the stock standard squishy boards that come with your 'puter, you wonā€™t go back.

(The G2ā€™s successor is the Ducky Premier.)

Iā€™m using that keyboard to type this. Kinda like my bikeā€¦ugly as shit, but best Iā€™ve owned. This thing is hella loud, though.

1 Like

Iā€™ve come to prefer the aesthetics (and ease of cleaning) of keyboards with exposed plates/trays, i.e. those in which the keys are not recessed into the chassis but instead protrude from it. See this guyā€™s series of images; the top keyboard in the first image has the exposed backing plate and the one below it does not (also note the hilariously-terrible branding).

I like Corsairā€™s K70 (130 USD) because of its backlighting and sturdy aluminum construction but really any $100+ keyboard with Cherry MX keys will be a marked improvement over the standard rubber-dome affair. I wouldnā€™t recommend spending $100+ on a mechanical keyboard unless it was backlit; I just find it handy, ntm spiffy. As with most Cherry-based boards, they are available with clicky MX Blue keys popular with typists, but the highest-selling variant (because itā€™s ostensibly ā€œgamerā€ gear) is the one with Cherryā€™s Red keys, which are linear and thus non-clicky.

For those of you nonplussed by $170 keyboards, I suggest perusing GONsKeyboardWorks and having a fit.

1 Like

I have a DAS Keyboard with the USB hub on the right. I think I paid 120 or so for it and it was worth every penny.
I used to have one from NMB with the split space bar that allowed for you to assign backspace to one side - which was awesome and lasted me over a decade- and I have never been able to find one as good till now.

Are the keycap labels misaligned?

I have one of these, which I use mostly in MacOS. Itā€™s the best keyboard Iā€™ve ever had. The only non-Mac thing about it is that the Command key has a Windows glyph on it, and Option says ā€œAltā€. It does look utilitarian, but itā€™s worth putting up with.

My prior fave was a Matias tactilepro, which looks nicer, but has a few disadvantages. The Matias clear plastic is very brittle, and cracks easily. Also, both of the ones Iā€™ve had fit together so that the plastic shell would bind against some of the keys. Also, the riser feet break very easily. And itā€™s by far the noisiest keyboard Iā€™ve had. It not only clacks, but thereā€™s a metal ring to it also. Mechanically and electronically, itā€™s great, but spoiled by the poor plastic.

The Matias I think are just about worth the cost for a more Mac-looking keyboard. But the Unicomp is just so solid and a joy to type on. Also, IIRC they cost less than Das Keyboard.

edit - I just noticed, that pic has properly labeled Mac keys! Iā€™ll need to see if I can get a few upgraded caps!

Any idea if thereā€™s such a thing as a keyboard with a mirrored numpad on the left, instead of exactly wrong?

Data entry would be a shitload easier with a hand on the mouse in many instances, the numpad shits on WASD for gaming, the traditional numpad is in the way of the mousepad, and a standard keyboard is horribly unbalanced for typing on the lap.

Like, duh. Whereā€™s my keyboard of choice already.

1 Like

Iā€™d like a decent keyboard at work, almost bought this:

Also almost bought one of @codinghorrorā€™s a few times, and also thought about getting a Noppoo Choc Mini.

But then I think work should pay for my keyboard, not me, and donā€™t buy any of them.

Got to disagree with you there. Programs which require mousing are evil. Keyboard commands are far more efficient. I am psyching myself up to try a mouseless web browser, as itā€™s the only non-game program I find I always need it for.

1 Like

The model M wasnā€™t discontinued. It became Unicomp and acquired a USB plug:

http://pckeyboard.com/page/UKBD/UNIZPHA

IBM sold all their patents to Unicomp.

Maybe this would work?

http://www.dsi-keyboards.com/left-handed-keyboards.aspx

Iā€™'ll refrain from posting a link to the accompanying video, which features cheesy music.

[quote=ā€œgreatcaffeine, post:17, topic:47895ā€]
True, but the ā€œquietā€ model of the Das Keyboard is inferior to what Matias offers for a number of reasons.[/quote]

I have the Das Keyboard in Browns and I think my whole office would laugh anyone into oblivion if they claimed my keyboard was anything like quiet. Little do they know that I can type at nearly full speed at a normalish volume (to membrane keyboards) with my Browns but choose not to because the difference between nearly full speed and full speed is like watching something at 67% speed in VLC. But hey, I can feel that feedback and thatā€™s how I can type quieter if I wanted to.

Iā€™m pretty loud on membrane keyboards anyway. Louder than needed? Probably. But Iā€™m not actually wailing on it like some past colleagues Iā€™ve had so Iā€™m not damaging anything. I think.

Oh, disagree. There are Cherry MXs that have no feedback but the Browns are certainly not among them. Maybe Matiasā€™s have moreā€”I wouldnā€™t knowā€”but Browns are not at all lacking in tactile feedback.

I know this is a joke but ā€¦ I have every confidence that you can throw a Das Keyboard that has a bit fewer bells and whistles than this one into a dishwasher, dry it out for a few days afterwards, and use it just fine. So go with whatever poison you want so long as it doesnā€™t melt plastic or corrode metal. :laughing:

For what itā€™s worth, I didnā€™t pay nearly as much as the keyboard on this article MSRPs for. I didnā€™t get the media buttons either but I did try a comradeā€™s Corsair with Cherry MXs on them and I actually didnā€™t care for the extra bells and whistles. Generally rather not have them on keyboards anyway.

He had a sampler of four different Cherry MX switch types and I tried all four extensively before picking the Browns.

I was tempted to try a Ducky and I still might eventually but Iā€™m perfectly happy with my Das Keyboard. Excepting the fact that they put the USB ports (which I never use anyway ā€¦ but could if not for the fact that they put them) right by my usual mouse hand.

Oh, and the gloss finish for the board (not keys) itself! I polished that thing several times a day for months to keep the irritation at bay until it finally scuffed up enough that I could ignore the fingerprints.

I readily acknowledge that these are probably not normal concerns. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If you do break it and you know how to solder you can replace the switches. I know from experience that you canā€™t easily do that with a cheap rubber dome keyboard.

Why settle for mechanical switches when you can use nice Hall-effect types?

Maybe because I donā€™t know where to get them! Itā€™s a Knight/MIT/Symbolics layout. I have considered making a keyboard with a similar layout when resources werenā€™t so scarce, but using Cherry switches. Another factor is that the caps are rather busy, so itā€™d likely cost a bit to get sets of these made. Project seems rather remote, presently.