Dashcam video of distracted teen drivers crashing their cars while texting

I am crashing LOL

3 Likes

Oh, I can think of at least one other thing which kills tens of thousands every year, yet which militantly resists any corrective action …

1 Like

I just got an A118-C dash cam (here’s the one I got http://amzn.com/B00SK8B47W/). It doesn’t have the driver-facing camera but it does record footage of the road. There are other models that support rear-facing cameras as well. https://dashcamtalk.com/ is a great resource for finding a good model.

Every time I get on the motorcycle, I think about menaces like these all around me in their cages. Keeps you hyper-aware.

1 Like

Judging from the nimrods I had to contend with on my way home from the doctor today, their parents aren’t any better, they’re just more self righteous.

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

“:In the United States, teenagers drive less than all but the oldest people, but their numbers of crashes and crash deaths are disproportionately high. In the United States, the fatal crash rate per mile driven for 16-19 year-olds is nearly 3 times the rate for drivers ages 20 and over. Risk is highest at ages 16-17. In fact, the fatal crash rate per mile driven is nearly twice as high for 16-17 year-olds as it is for 18-19 year-olds”

1 Like

Tell me you’re not relying on the turn signal that’s been on for two blocks now. Or the four-ways, until you realise the brake lights are just flashing on and off in a slightly irregular pattern.

That IIHS study doesn’t contradict the data that says elderly drivers are even more dangerous than teenage drivers. In fact, here’s a table that is in that IIHS link that confirms the earlier data I posted and what @Ratel originally said: elders are even more dangerous.

The overall fatality rate for teenagers is 4.6 per 100 million miles, while for those 75+ it is 5.5 per 100 million miles. This seems to confirm, again, the point that elderly drivers are more dangerous (even if it is true that tenagers are much more dangerous than non-elderly adult drivers).

A substantial improvement in public transportation would have to happen in the US to allow the driving age to be raised. I’d love to see it happen, though.

2 Likes

Terrorists, right? It’s gotta be terrorists. Or maybe the gays?

It’s a chicken and egg thing. Public transit is justified where there is a need/demand. Once the kids get their cars, they consider buses to be only for losers.

No, best way to predict driving behavior is watching the driver’s head and where they’re looking.

However,

1 Like

As a Ballard driver, I endorse this message.

1 Like

But what is the percentage of drivers by age?

Incidentally, why are there so many flashing disorienting pain-lights around the roads: safety lights, turn signals, the safety weapons on the school buses, crossing lights, etc.? I don’t drive, I can’t even bike anymore, but I have to walk and sometimes cross the roads.

1 Like

8 Likes

I didn’t realize these dashcams record both front and back. Interesting.

1 Like

You would hate the snow plows around here. They’re huge vehicles decorated with so many blinking lights in different colours (blue, yellow, red, green) that you have no idea if they’re signalling a turn, or a stop, or slowing down. Basically, it’s the official signal for “just stay the fuck away from me”.

1 Like

It would be, but here in Los Angeles is has become quite fashionable to have your windows tinted so dark that nobody can tell what you might be intending.