Dave Filoni has an idea for an "era-defining" Star Wars film

Sorry but you’re missing the point. The point is the character arc. Luke starts off as a whiny-ass idealistic baby that makes excuses and needs his blanky and ends up a bad-ass Jedi with wisdom by Ep 6. Rei starts off as a perfect person and magically learns the force with no effort and endures no pain, and ends up the same way she started. There’s no character arc. She’s not interesting except to show how she’s better than everybody else for no particular reason. It makes it a bad story. Whatever they want to do with a new movie, they need to make us CARE about the characters. People care about Luke so much in those movies that mhamil is still famous 30 years later.

1 Like
6 Likes

Totally agree that Leia is the real rebel hero, at least at the beginning.

1 Like

I’m not missing the point.

My point is that fans are sexist assholes applying rules to Rey that they NEVER applied to Luke, despite the fact that the characters are basically mirror images of each other.

If you want to complain about the sequel trilogy, a valid complaint would be that they just photocopied the original trilogy and thought nobody would notice.

But the sequel trilogy’s only real difference in main characters is that one is a woman, and one is a man, and the woman’s character is just not believable while the man’s character arc is just as flawed but given tons of excuses and leeway, and frankly, that’s just sexist.

And happens way, WAY too often in sci-fi for it to be an accident at this point.

6 Likes

I Mean Come On GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

8 Likes

she starts off alone and isolated. she’s been abandoned and hurt. she learns to reconnect with the world - mainly through finn and kylo.( and she sees luke, and realizes that’s where she’s heading. )

she’s so torn by her anger, her power, and her connection to kylo she almost turns to the dark side. as a viewer, it was easy to believe she and kylo were about to swap places

but she chooses her new found family instead of isolation and pain, even though it’s the harder of the two choices

luke’s journey was cribbed from the campbell hero’s journey. it’s fine, but its just one kind of story. there are many others

so true. and the best part is that r2 is samwise

the lord of the rings sam GIF

4 Likes

Honestly I think most of the problems with Rey’s arc come down to that. A lot of things don’t feel earned because they’re not earned, they’re just whatever it takes to get to the next story beat from the original. This applies to other characters too – Finn had a really interesting backstory, a stormtrooper sick of the horrors of war, and they just kind of throw it aside and have him start shooting people because it’s that time.

That doesn’t have to do with the character herself. The difference between Luke and Rey isn’t that one is a Mary Sue – I mean, if you want to talk about author insert characters, the first is literally named Luke S. after the writer. The difference between them is editing. But no, sexists have to make the problem her somehow.

6 Likes

Yep.

It was pretty cold of her not to give Chewbacca a hug in episode 7 though.

3 Likes

based on the trailer, where our characters were last seen in Rebels and the known presence of Thrawn, I think the Ahsoka show is going to be exactly that

2 Likes

3 Likes

Agreed, and Luke’s scene with Yoda was perfect. “The greatest teacher, failure is.” Can’t express how much I loved that theme throughout the movie.

4 Likes

Taika Waititi.

3 Likes

I like Taika Waititi and would be interested if he has something he wants to do in the SW universe.

Filoni has been doing good to great work for a couple decades now. Mostly in the animation realm, but still.

2 Likes

At what point does Clone Wars get good? I’ve tried dipping into it a couple of times, but it’s really been a slog so far.

1 Like

I think a challenge with the clone wars is that is can be a bit variable. Some.arcs dont progress the bigger story in obvious ways and may feel “in the way” (or boring) depending on how commited you are to the far edges of Star Wars Lore.

I would start with anything ranked essential in this list:

The last seasons are pretty solid IMHO.

Then you can always fill in with supporting arcs or some of the less… uhm good… stories as a completionist if you get hooked.

5 Likes

I second this approach. And would like to add that the show finds its feet toward the end of the second season.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.