Davey and Goliath did not encourage me to place my faith in anything

Originally published at: Davey and Goliath did not encourage me to place my faith in anything | Boing Boing

2 Likes

How about anthropomorphic vegetables?

8 Likes

Perhaps the i̶n̶d̶o̶c̶t̶r̶i̶n̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ show wasn’t meant for you.

3 Likes

This might make you feel better

8 Likes

Can’t find the clip of Homer watching Davey suggest “We could get there faster if we took my dad’s car!” and be answered “I, DON’T, KNOW, DAVEY”

3 Likes

Came here for this. Couldn’t remember if it was from Moral Orel or another spoof.

3 Likes

MadTV. They had some wild animated spoofs. Mostly in the Rankin Bass holiday special vein.

1 Like

Came here to post the same thing. Guess I’ll have to share the Pet Cemetery version instead.

5 Likes

The link to the Stryper video reminded me that the first concert I ever attended was Petra, with my youth group, in 1985. Luckily I was able to cleanse my palate with Sting a couple of months later. I still make the distinction between “technically the first concert,” and “the first REAL concert” when I’m comparing notes with friends.

1 Like

Can we talk about Goofus and Gallant next?

4 Likes

funnily enough, i never had a problem with Davey & Goliath – i think because i also adored the Rankin Bass holiday cartoons (Rudolph, etc.), so i just tuned out any religious messages in favor of the animation style.

5 Likes

That would be the Carrot Man on that one Lost In Space episode. Did nothing for me.

3 Likes

I worked a stryper show once. That was an experience. No booze but so much redbull. Everyone has their drugs, they’re just not all regulated the same.

3 Likes

I went to a couple of Stryper shows back in the '80s. A couple of friends and I were really into them, but had no interest in the religious content (most of their fanbase seemed to be like us, which is probably why they released a non-overtly religious album around 1990 or so that somehow managed to be even more wholesome than the ones with overt religious messages). We were too young to take note of the alcohol policy.

At one of the shows the guitarist announced they were going to film a music video during the next song and the crowd went wild. Then the singer shook his head, came to to mic, and said they weren’t, and something about the crowd not being big enough or enthusiastic enough or something. Then they just got on with the show. It was bizarre – I have no idea whether the band was purposely messing with us or if we witnessed an on-stage disagreement.

Imagine the outcry if an atheist group had produced cartoons showing how silly a god is and how religious belief in general can lead to hate or foolish decisions and gotten them on national TV,

When a child praises “Jesus”, adults exclaim how wise the child is. If another says “God is a null concept”, people presume he/she was brainwashed by evil atheist parents.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.