Things I miss: Davey and Goliath

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/21/things-i-miss-davey-and-golia.html

3 Likes

You know they were conditioning you with Lutheran doctrine, don’t you? How does tuna hotdish make you feel?

14 Likes
1 Like

My go-to show on Sunday mornings, in L.A., when I was 5
"I don’t know, Davey…"

13 Likes

I’ll just leave this here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvXxNL8Zi38

6 Likes

I used to love that show. Catchy theme tune, cool claymation. Remember the episode when he rescued a billy goat and got into trouble because the thing started eating everything in sight and was crapping all over the house? How about the time he got trapped in a coal mine and his gang The Jickets showed up with two hookers and came to his rescue. Now that I think of it, I might not be remembering the details of these episodes accurately.

13 Likes

I always preferred the Mad TV version…

I need more blood Davey…

16 Likes

I never noticed the religious nature of it back when I was young enough to enjoy it. And I think that was prior to first grade which is when I started going to Catholic school so I guess I was just too young to see anything other than “weird cartoon that’s not really a cartoon”.

5 Likes

5 Likes

Hymns don’t sound right to me if Harry Secombe isn’t singing them.

3 Likes

Moral Orel was pretty good too.

8 Likes

On a related note:

You know what I love now? Tuna melt. (Not the same thing, but you reminded me.) For years I’d see it on sandwich menus and think, “who the hell goes out to eat and orders something so mundane as tuna fish?” Then, for some reason, I decided to try one at the deli across from work. They’re delicious! I eat a tuna melt at least once a week.

4 Likes

I was the Preacher’s Kid, and for many people in the congregation, much worse than Cisco ('cuz I should know better). I was constantly advocating for the community aspects removed from the whole religion thing. A very polite kid who was angling for mutiny.
I always felt there were some good life lessons tucked in there despite the religious angle.

One thing that puzzled me for a while is why they showed Davey and Goliath on Sunday mornings, until I realized it was set up as an invitation for those who were seeking that sort of thing.

Either way, I stopped attending church once I turned eighteen and dad gave me the “You’re eighteen, you can make your own decisions” speech.

Bonus: Can you believe that car?

6 Likes

I watched this show a few times as a kid because I could tell it was made by the people who made Gumby. I attended Sunday School and church and harbored no particular anti-Christian bias. However I did know when I was being preached to and I certainly knew when I was being patronized. The show reminds me of a well-meaning aunt who talked to you like you were three and gave you underwear for Christmas.

As an adult I admire the kids’ Trumpian logic in the opening scene. “Who wants to take Communion?” “Everybody does.” “Yeah? Who says so?” “Everybody.” End of discussion.

3 Likes

yeah, same here. i enjoyed it and i think the religious preachy part just passed right over me. same thing with the Narnia books – i loved them, and the overt christianity didn’t really occur to me. i just loved the stories. (now the whole religious thing makes me wince, but i still love both. ahh, nostalgia!)

1 Like

Davey is clearly a worshiper of Satan. How else would he have a demonic, talking familiar, in the form of a dog?

13 Likes

I always wondered if he was going to kill his dog.

I was a kinda morbid, and literal, kid.

2 Likes

I remember watching the show, finding it vaguely relaxing and kid-friendly viewing during the Sunday morning politics-and-church TV ghetto (a similar show was “Marshall Efron’s Simplified, Painless and Illustrated Sunday School”). I understood D&G was produced by the Lutheran Church from the weird heart logo, but I didn’t quite understand its role as religious indoctrination (as with a lot of other kids, it just didn’t register at that age).

4 Likes

For me it was Davey and Goliath followed by All Star Wrestling (back when it looked like it was filmed in somebody’s basement).

6 Likes

This was the most depressing show ever.

3 Likes