David Hogg is launching a pillow company to compete against MyPillow

Of all the possible fallout from the end of the Trump administration, the last thing I was expecting was a pillow fight…

8 Likes

Colbert already did a bit on that… at least I think it was him… maybe it was Kimmel.

Anyway, he probably always was a nut ball. I believe he is one of those Christians desperately seeking the end times. We just didn’t hear about it because no one gave him a platform and reason to spout off.

I mean, Henry Ford was a “lunatic fringe conspiracy fascist”. So obviously these people can be successful.

1 Like

“Cult phenomena” seems like a radically understudied area, it is really striking me. Considering these things can be whipped up in even a few short years (if the right variables are already in place, of course), you would think societies would put some energy into studying how and why these things occur, and how to put a stop to it (keep it from developing, at least beyond control).

And I do know people study this, but it seems so far removed from the more mainstream areas of study surrounding political economy, it just seems like a major blind spot.

I was just deciding what to listen to on the afternoon walk I’m about to go on (it’s about 50 in Bmore today, woot!) and I think I will obviously have to keep listening to the audiobook version of this. I really do recommend it (the reading which is done by the author is solid, IMHO):

1 Like

Supply and demand aren’t getting along right now.

2 Likes

Agree. In recovery (from other substances) myself, and some of my favorite people in the world right now are former crack addicts.

Do they all support fascist attempts to overthrow the government, though?

Because that’s the issue most people have with Lyndell; not his past actions, but his CURRENT ones.

6 Likes

I hope they’re domestic.
It would be terrible to walk into the store and then, boom, you see 30 to 50 feral Hog pillows…

11 Likes

Exactly. He’s enough of a dangerous, delusional shit as is.
No reason to bring up his addiction.

Seems to me that if the man is making money off that fact, thereby exploiting his own history, then it’s a fact that’s fair game.

Blowing Mark shit for stating a fact that the subject himself exploits seems a bit like virtue signaling, IMO; not to mention tone policing.

7 Likes

Some people must sleep better when their white privilege ganglions are being massaged.

4 Likes

I also think it is relevant. People who claim to have given up addictions through religious beliefs are still addicts, just not to the original cause. Mike Lindell is now addicted to his religion and to Trump. Remove Mike’s faith for whatever reason and he will be back on crack before a month is up.

I feel I need to point out that some people have stopped being addicts because of the community in a church helping them, I am not talking about them and they tend to do better than the “Addicted to God” people.

2 Likes

Whatever he calls it, QAnon will be saying it is stuffed with innards of sacrificed teddy bears and contains a chip that turns you gay and/or communist in your sleep.

Little do they know we put those in the tap water years ago. Now they’re everywhere because of the water cycle :laughing:

/s and why isn’t there a proper evil laugh emoji yet?

6 Likes

I sometimes worry that the US is moving towards this completely diametric society. Progressives protest and boycott Chick-fil-a, so conservatives flock there in droves. Lindell is pretty horrible and I wish Hogg luck but even if he succeeds it may not have much impact on Lindell’s business.

It’s completely despicable that teasing amygdalas and running cults would take more than a footwag a day from any of us to put down, but I the need snuck in somewhere.

2 Likes

I feel like its up there with referring to “Trash Person Dinesh D’Souza” as “Convicted Felon Dinesh D’zousa”. Are we trying to destigmatize or are we for holding it against people who have served their time?

Frankly, I really don’t give a damn about Mark or any of the authors focusing on the negative traits of rich people in power who have helped enable fascism and who have caused real lasting damage to the society we live in - not when the media is only too fucking happy to show mug shots of Black victims who were abused or killed by LEOs, trying to present them in the very worst possible light.

5 Likes

Yeah, exactly, they have plenty of other terrible traits to talk about. We could have gone with Fascist Enabler Mike Lindell.
The media acting nefariously like you’re saying is just something I try not emulate. Trying to present people in the “worst possible light” by mocking their (previous?) addiction is just doing the same thing as showing the mug shots.

“Served their time” is an interesting term here. Do you really suppose D’Souza did serve a fair share of time, in the same way that the unfortunate people who need their criminal records destigmatized did, and then usually much much more on top of that? Does it make a difference if I told you he was pardoned by Trump for obvious political reasons, and so didn’t even serve the time he was given?

Not all of these things are the same. You don’t ever make things more equal by ignoring differences like that, you make them more equal by paying attention and fixing them. There are words for what that turns into otherwise that will get this post held.

4 Likes

Start your own post then, or better yet, your own blog.

Let me reiterate, since I’m apparently not making myself abundantly clear:

I DO NOT GIVE A HAPPY FUCK ABOUT ANYONE DRAGGING MIKE LINDELL.

No amount of virtue signaling or tone policing attempts will ever change that.

And now I’m done elaborating on this tangent, as it’s really not on topic at this point.

5 Likes