Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

The end of an era, I suspect.

2 Likes
5 Likes

He played William with a preternatural level of soul.

3 Likes
7 Likes

Along with Brian Clough, Glenda Jackson, George Melly and a few other luminaries, Parkinson in 1977 also became a founding sponsor of the Anti-Nazi League in our militant campaign to confront the racism and fascism of the National Front.

14 Likes

I did not know that, and Iā€™m much happier now that I do. Thank you!

9 Likes

Iā€™m a Little House On The Prarie nut so itā€™s alway sad to hear a cast member passing.

7 Likes

Some classic matchesā€¦

5 Likes

Well, fuck. He was an absolute legend. Itā€™s pretty amazing he not only outlived most of his contemporaries (especially given how physical his style was), but that remained active up until a few years ago.

6 Likes

I had forgotten this oneā€¦ A complete legend that guy!

And can I say, I HATE all the WWE branding on that clip. It was back when WCW was still under NWA, but I guess when the WWF bought it out, they got the rights to brand all the classic matches, too! :rage:

That whole storyline was greatā€¦

6 Likes

That era of WCW/NWA was so good. I vividly remember watching TBS every weekend to catch all the broadcasts during this time.

But, yeah, now that WWE basically owns, well, everything wrestling related, they just love slapping their branding on everything.

Even worse is how everything gets the George Lucas treatment. The amount of erasure is unreal - disappearing wrestlers, events, altering commentary, changing music they donā€™t want to pay for, altering any place ā€œWWFā€ appears in immensely clunky ways, and so on. In some ways itā€™s a fine line. To this day I remain conflicted about anything involving Chris Benoit, for example. They will never release or even acknowledge Over the Edge 1999, but that doesnā€™t mean it didnā€™t happen.

Anyway, enough derail. RIP, Terry. You were a real one.

4 Likes

79? Thatā€™s really old for his job.

BBC News - Bray Wyatt: WWE champion dies aged 36

2 Likes

Tonight Show Agree GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Nbc Pour One Out GIF by Good Girls

I am not familiar with himā€¦ I have not really kept up with wrestling since the early 90s, after WWE sort of took over much of itā€¦ I keep meaning to check out some of the smaller companies, butā€¦ 36 is so young! :sob:

5 Likes
5 Likes

Heart attack caused by complications from COVID.

1 Like
4 Likes

Meaningful to UKians of a certain age:

(NO MORE THAN TWO POSTS IN A ROW ALLOWED! So hereā€™s two more, sadly.)

ā€¦ and he played the music for quite a few other films youā€™ve heard of.

(@orenwolf Is there a known issue with onebox not showing thumbnail images (again?) because they are there in my reply preview but disappear when I press reply.)

6 Likes

Saw the Funk brothers many times at Cobo Arena in Detroit long before what the WWF did to real wrestling, it usually ended in a bloody mess with chairs over heads and screw drivers or ice picks to the throat.

1970s, good times.

2 Likes

A video I saw on them credits the Funk brothers with being pioneers the realm of extreme wrestling and this would be why!

Ironically, itā€™s the WWEā€™s official memorial for Funk! :thinking:

2 Likes
7 Likes