Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

Charles F. Feeney, a pioneer of duty-free shops and a shrewd investor in technology startups who gave away nearly all of his $8 billion fortune to charity, much of it as quietly as he had made it, died on Monday in San Francisco. He was 92.

https://sfgate.com/news/article/charles-feeney-made-fortune-gave-away-dies-92-18415854.php?utm_campaign=CMS%20Sharing%20Tools%20(Premium)&utm_source=share-by-email&utm_medium=email

13 Likes
5 Likes

I wish more wealthy people would follow his example:

He didn’t just say he would honor The Giving Pledge, he tried to teach others how it could be done.

RIP Mr. Feeney.

12 Likes

For example “philanthropist” WIlliam Gates Jr. III retired (partially) from Microsoft initially with a fortune of c $33 billion, when he had to split it with his ex wife in part because he was tainted with Epstein through his “philanthropy” he had c.$250 billion.

I don’t believe that billionaires are necessarily better or smarter than the rest of us, but just how incompetent at giving away money is Gates? That’s a spectacular failure at a stated goal. Don’t think you’d pass a performance evaluation at Microsoft with a failure like that.

6 Likes

If you are reading this Mr. Gates, I submit my resume. I could give that money to good causes much faster and in more meaningful ways than your organization is currently doing. Call me!

2 Likes

I don’t know how well known she is outside Australia/New Zealand, but as an antipodean, this is a big shock.

5 Likes

Made It Im Here GIF by StickerGiant

I am glad for her that she left this world having done something exciting near the end. :hugs:

10 Likes
4 Likes

The Edge is such a banger. It’s no surprise Dr. Dre sampled it.

David McCallum was also in Watcher in the Woods, a film I imagine gave many children in the 1980s some form of PTSD.

8 Likes
5 Likes

https://cumbriacrack.com/2023/10/11/workington-reds-goalie-wilf-billington-dies-aged-93/

Wilf Billington, a former Workington Reds goalkeeper from their days in the Football League, has died at the age of 93.

He was signed for Workington by Bill Shankly.

3 Likes

Bravo Keith.

11 Likes
13 Likes
5 Likes
9 Likes
10 Likes
11 Likes

Posted without comment, as we’re all too busy rolling our eyes:

Male trainers at SOE often underestimated the female agents, according to Clare Mulley, who has written several books about women agents in World War Two.

“Latour’s training reports appear dismissive, warning that she is ‘unsuitable’ for work in the field, but in France she gave exceptional service,” says Ms Mulley.

According to the historian, this was not uncommon. Ms Mulley recalls another trainee’s report, which read: “Would make an excellent wife for an unimaginative man.”

4 Likes
6 Likes

:sob:

season 1 catherine martell GIF by Twin Peaks on Showtime

8 Likes