Dead Celebrity (Part 1)

Just read that saxophonist Charles Brackeen had died, apparently last November.

4 Likes

It was Frank Clarkeā€™s goals that got Carlisle United into the old first division in 1973-4, especially his last goal of the season which put Carlisle in the last promotion place

2 Likes

Band Name!

4 Likes
6 Likes

Sad news in Philly, trailblazing reporter Trudy Haynes passed away:

10 Likes
9 Likes

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2022/jun/10/julee-cruise-singer-david-lynch-collaborator-dies-aged-65-b52s

12 Likes
4 Likes

I saw her live in the late '90s as the opening act for Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds in Manhattan - she was ethereal.

5 Likes

Charles Kernaghan, a labor activist who helped revitalize the anti-sweatshop movement in the late 20th century, targeting American companies such as Disney ā€” as well as a clothing line backed by Kathie Lee Gifford ā€” while waging a dogged campaign to expose mistreatment at overseas factories, died June 1 at his home in Manhattan. He was 74.

(Also available here)

15 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes
8 Likes
3 Likes

Immortalised in Prologue To History of courseā€¦

Today a poet who canā€™t play guitar
Tomorrow Phil Bennettā€™s playing outside half
Next year the worldā€™s greatest politician
Yesterday the boy who once had a mission
I donā€™t wanna be a prologue to history

2 Likes

I loved him in Hard Eight.

10 Likes

Iā€™ve seen him in many things, but this is the performance I would think of when I did.

9 Likes

I remember him from several movies, including The Insider and Boogie Nights. But I enjoyed seeing him on the small screen, too. Besides Seinfeld, he also played the curmudgeonly next-door neighbor who befriends Luke Dunphy in Modern Family (I think the characterā€™s name is Walt?). The entire family feared him except the son.

8 Likes

Shit. This is sad - I love his work. Even people that donā€™t read comics may remember seeing his art in the TV show Heroes

5 Likes

Another unsung backroom hero - Iā€™d never heard of him but have seen his work countless times.

(Sorry - Guardian links not one-boxing at present, it seems. Have an image to be going on with, but do click through, above.)

7 Likes