Dead man unavailable for comment

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/03/dead-man-unavailable-for-comme.html

7 Likes

She never said they tried him by phone.

39 Likes

In death, no-one can hear you comment.

11 Likes

Ah, the perils of on-scene reportage. I predict that the internet is going to have fun with that green shirt.

8 Likes

Dead man unavailable for comment

I often say just that when I’m hung over.

13 Likes

Unless she decided to ungender the deceased immediately after using the word “man”, I think the reporter was using “they” in the plural sense, suggesting that what she was supposed to say was “we tried to reach out to the family of the man who died”. My guess is that she realized her mistake right after she said it, thus her brief moment of hesitancy in the middle of the sentence.

9 Likes
12 Likes

Then who was phone?

1 Like

Did he died?

1 Like

Factual reporting as it should be

6 Likes

The story of Mary Baker Eddy came to mind… I had heard it when I was a kid and had never known if it was a myth or not… Now I know!

https://www.marybakereddylibrary.org/research/myth-a-phone-in-mary-baker-eddys-tomb/?cn-reloaded=1

Also: who knew — in searching for that, it appears that there’s a trend now of people burying their family members with their cell phone?

4 Likes

But how’s the wifi?

6 Likes

I jokingly thought the solution to not having a comment to make after you die is to record a final message every morning. The kind you see in movies that always starts off with “If you are watching this, then I must be dead…”.

While this might be tedious to do daily, it would be an interesting exercise to think about what you would like to say, assuming you will die before tomorrow morning. Over time it would be interesting to see how your message would evolve.

5 Likes

I"d be far more concerned if the dead man was available for comment.

5 Likes

She was getting prompted through an earpiece by the producer, and he decided to fuck with her.

1 Like

Now that would be news!

1 Like

No comment.

1 Like

She was calling Trump.

We rang his room but he’d already checked out.

“We asked for an unbroken raw egg… but we got this sunny side up thingy instead. Back to you.”