Dean Stockwell dead at 85

Originally published at: Dean Stockwell dead at 85 | Boing Boing

8 Likes

blue-velvet-stockwell

24 Likes

He was a quality act; always interesting to watch.

12 Likes

I didn’t know about the child star thing.

18 Likes

One of his earliest (if not first) appearances was in this odd but compelling picture.

I think he realized at a young age that he could continue making a career in acting if he attached himself to interesting projects and directors rather than try to become a movie star (which he ended up being anyhow).

19 Likes

he was hilarious in Married to The Mob. the scene where they go to the drive-though and start singing the burger town song gets me every time.

13 Likes

The Man, the Myth, the Magic.

11 Likes

I was tickled when he first appeared in Battlestar Galactica and even more excited when his part was expanded into one of the central characters. His “I don’t want to be human!” monologue was one of the best written and performed bits in the whole series.

21 Likes

Goodbye, Doctor Yueh.

24 Likes

So it goes.

dean

26 Likes

I had to rewatch it. This is an actor.

20 Likes

He was one of the last living connections to the Golden Age of Hollywood. It must have been quite a trip from hanging out with Myrna Loy, William Powell and Errol Flynn to playing an alien cyborg in a distant galaxy.

16 Likes

11 Likes

He had a memorable role as an antagonist in the old made for TV films/TV series Vanishing Son (I think it was the 2nd film), where he is the head of a local KKK chapter in Louisiana persecuting the local Vietnamese immigrants.

6 Likes

He also starred in one of the earliest adaptions of a HP Lovecraft work, The Dunwich Horror

9 Likes

He was in a million things. Battlestar Galactica was probably the last role I remember seeing him in.

He character on Quantum Leap influenced a character I had in my comic book Majek I made up in HS. The character Aloquin (Al for short), who was an angel only Majek could see and hear (most of the time). Though his look was more based on George Carlin.

8 Likes

holy crap, how did i not know he was in Song of the Thin Man??? well, probably because it’s the last of the Thin Man movies and they got progressively less great as they went along. i’ve seen it far less than the first three. RIP to one of the greats.

7 Likes

“Paris, Texas” has been my favorite film since I first saw it when I was a teenager. Whenever it would play at the local indie theater I would go, and sometimes still cry.

10 Likes

The scene in the desert where we does this again while Kyle Mclachlan is being beaten and the woman dances on top of the car is the first great rock video

6 Likes

Then there was that time that Robert Culp murdered him on Columbo in 1972. And in 1975 Robert Vaughn framed him for a murder on a cruise ship.

6 Likes