Death—and dragons—stalk the powerful in Game of Thrones

[Permalink]

And I thought it was just me who was beginning to think that GoT had completely jumped the shark (dragon?) and somehow managed to land feet-first in a parody-land, the place where all Good Shows eventually arrive after the brilliant gymnastic virtuosity of their critically acclaimed previous seasons collapses into the inevitable flailing “we don’t know WTF we’re doing now so we’ll just make stuff up and just hope the WTF-ery is cool enough to keep the numbers afloat.”

I find myself gritting my teeth and mumbling at the screen “just get on with it and don’t be so stupid about it!”

It’s kind of like torture, a bit, but I continue to watch anyway. The WTF-ery is cool enough, for now.

2 Likes

I actually quite enjoyed the still moment through the ruins, and the actually not-bad alternate-world poetry the characters shared in that scene. It was one of the few moments so far, besides some bits on the Wall, where I really had the feeling this is a strangely different world all of its own.

If Stannis’ face when he quietly corrects with “Fewer” doesn’t turn into a grammar-nazi meme I will be somewhat disappointed.

6 Likes

I do have to say, too much time in winterfell. Sanza hasn’t smartened up yet, and the Bolton family of sociopathic killers are well established excellent enemies, which means I really don’t need to see them for more than three minutes at a time until some stark splits them in 2 with a broad sword.

Also, can we get somebody moving here? other than the boat everybody else is in a castle, ready to head some place in the morning. Why not cut 10 minutes out of the Winterfell scenes and have Jon, Stanis , the guys in Dorn, Danny or somebody make some freaking progress past the front yard of a castle.

1 Like

Armor Class 6 studded leather mail

Dude, what?

1 Like
3 Likes

I was quietly delighted at that moment, and then (later on in the evening) to find Don Draper doing the same thing (correcting some numbnuts’ grammar) in last night’s Mad Men. Were those shows in cahoots? Was there a grammar holiday this weekend I somehow missed?

3 Likes

No, grandparents are in September. It was Mother’s Day yesterday.

5 Likes

A throwback to the same correction in a season 2 episode, no less.

1 Like

That was bad and you should feel bad. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I just realised what the “two chicken drumsticks in the shape of an X” are. It’s the ever lovely symbol of House Bolton, The Flayed Man!
Yes, this is the other reason Roose knows that Ramsey is his son, he shares the Bolton passion for removing people’s skin whilst they’re still alive.
Such lovely people :confused:

Harry?

I think Emilia Clarke’s pulling those scenes in which we’re reminded of Dany’s Targaryen ancestry off perfectly well. It’s established lore that most of them had a seriously cruel and violent streak in them - some, like her dad and brother, crossed the line into outright psychopathy, while others used it in moderation and ruled efficiently as a result. Dany’s (hopefully) turning out to be the latter type, but Clarke’s portrayal of her emotional enjoyment of brutal vengeance is spot on and entirely in character.
It’s just a shame that by the time she finally makes her way West, there won’t be many worthwhile targets left for her wrath. The usurpers who toppled her father have done a good job at killing each other, as have the various kings, and it looks like the Boltons are next to go.

That literally changed my opinion of his character. (For the good, if it needs to be clarified.)

2 Likes

Were you making a joke, because of course everyone knows it’s “you should feel badly”?

Because “you should feel bad” is correct. Think of it this way: you only feel badly if there’s something wrong with the nerve endings in your fingertips.

1 Like

Or mittens!

1 Like

I think he’s referring to the fact that Studded Leather is AC 3.

3 Likes

(Sons of the) HarPy

1 Like

Stannis?

1 Like