"Deep State Weather Engineering" conspiracy theories run rampant in wake of Maui fires

I believe in the existence of the Derp State.

8 Likes

Come on! Only in fiction we can find a derp president! No way we would be ruled by incompetent people! Nobody would vote for a narcissistic sociopath who flirts with fascism!

5 Likes

The people who lived there are getting really pissed off at these sort of people

11 Likes

I knew this reminded me of something I’d heard before:

You’ll PAY to know what you really think.

7 Likes

Hey! We don’t talk about Bruno, no no no!

5 Likes

“Down, down deeper and down”, to quote the Staus Quo.

5 Likes

Ars Technica had a feature on the conspiracy nutters who are circulating a five-year old long exposure photo of a Falcon 9 launch as evidence of a space laser [checks - yep I actually wrote that]:

12 Likes

China was pushing this days ago.

3 Likes

Minor nit, those are Jewish tropical space lasers. You can’t just shoot any old space laser and expect to light a Hawaiian island on fire.

4 Likes

Kaia Ra … claims to be a “world-renowned divine oracle.” She sells jewelry she says removes suicidal thoughts and trauma and her followers think she rules over a tribe of cosmic “Sophia Dragons.” Now she’s building a temple in Sedona to “reconsecrate the vortexes.”

BINGO!
i have five words diagonally, see?

6 Likes

“We’re all being oppressed, we’re all being censored.”

I can think of at least two things wrong with these statements.

6 Likes

https://what-if.xkcd.com/13/

How many laser pointers do we need to use to light the moon?

9 Likes

All these folks are selling something. Instead of spending so much time discussing their various misinformation and lies. I wish people would just point out that these fuckers are taking advantage of a tragedy to sell some garbage.

I think a lot of the bullshit has started as psyops from foreign governments which is gross enough but the folks selling their crap and piling on is just heinous.

9 Likes

It really shows how conspiratorial thinking favors simple, made-up explanations, even in the face of actual, real-life conspiracies…

7 Likes

Another example of far-right doublethink.

Small towns are inherently good and virtuous, but creating urban spaces that allow people to access all essential needs a short distance away is inherently evil.

13 Likes

Or rather, if you’re really cynical, “a concerted effort to leverage climate change”

4 Likes

they say the backfire was ‘the speed of sound’…

4 Likes

I don’t know how much time I’ve wasted in comments trying to explain to folks that Lahaina was pretty much a 15 minute city already. Or how the idea of turning the entire island of Maui into a 15 minute city is just proof they have no clue about the size of Maui or what a 15 minute city entails.

The idea of people using this tragedy to try to prevent any sort of intelligent city planning in the future is truly terrifying as the lack of proper civil engineering is the cause of the tragedy.

7 Likes

That’s the work of the Subterranean Crab people

3 Likes

5 Likes