Deepest hotel in the world opens at the bottom of an abandoned Victorian mine

Am I the only one who thinks this sounds great? Imagine how complete the quiet and the dark are down there. I’d feel secure as a cat in a box.

9 Likes

I’m keen, It’s now on my list for the next time I am back in the UK.

I love that part of Wales anyway and this would be great.

5 Likes

I been there! It’s a great tour.

4 Likes

One word…guano.

5 Likes

certainly the lakes - not sure which (if any) rivers are navigable.

1 Like

I’ve done an innertube float trip on an underground river under the Yucatán peninsula.

5 Likes

Hmmm, looks familiar

4 Likes

Yes - quiet (no highway traffic), dark (no little LED lamps on every device). That’s what I want!

1 Like

I’m with you! I think this sounds really neat and would definitely give it a go.

2 Likes

If you’re visiting Australia and are traveling through the Red Centre, try staying in Coober Pedy, home of many opal mines and dugout homes. Most accommodations are underground to avoid the scorching daytime temperatures. When I was there, the hostel I stayed in was expanding by digging out more rooms, and I found a few opal chips in the excavated rock.

9 Likes

They’ve opened a new one in Australia which holds most of the world’s supply of Victorians.

4 Likes
2 Likes

But that’s just the cheap, colonial substitute, and strip mined to boot.
A far cry from the real thing and depressingly upper lower middle class, if you know what I mean.

2 Likes

You could do some serious Edge of Darkness LARPing down there. (Bagsies on Jedburgh.)

However, I’d really like to see the permits for this. Fire safety, ventilation, utilities, evacuation routes, all that.

2 Likes

I was for about 10 seconds, then I realized there’d still be other people snoring nearby, and you have to walk through mine shafts for an hour to get there that don’t look like they were carved with 1.97m people like myself in mind. For the price, I think there’s easier ways to get a well-insulated hotel room.

3 Likes

Well, until they refubish the Titanic and open it up as a hotel, as they did with the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA.

3 Likes

That sounds like a headache.

5 Likes

Greatest episode ever.

1 Like

All this, and at rock bottom prices!!

3 Likes

Drums! Drums in the deep! It is comin…

2 Likes