Deepest hotel in the world opens at the bottom of an abandoned Victorian mine

Originally published at: Deepest hotel in the world opens at the bottom of an abandoned Victorian mine | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I hope they have a lift as well, if for nothing else than things like changing the bedding, medical emergencies, etc.

4 Likes

Deepest hotel in the world opens at the bottom of an abandoned Victorian mine

Apparently, the mine shut down when they ran out of Victorians to mine.

24 Likes

season 4 nbc GIF by Blindspot

14 Likes

Is it common to have roofed structures inside a mine? I thought the whole “ceiling” thing was one of the few features you get for free in a subterranean existence.

6 Likes

i’d want my parakeet in a cage to come armed with a Geiger counter

9 Likes

All sounds great up to the part about ascending a 1/4 mile!

5 Likes

The threat of a Balrog is enough to keep me away.

12 Likes

Stephen King hears stories like this and hides under the covers with all his lights on. Nothing about this sounds like a reasonable series of decisions to anyone other than H. H. Holmes.

5 Likes

I guess that, sometimes high ceiling can get a bit opressive.

10 Likes

I couldn’t sleep with the possibility of the ceiling crushing me to death. I’ve played d&d, i can recognize a death trap when i see one!

2023-06-13_16-10-54

10 Likes

Mithral might attract Balrogs, but slate only attracts the Poundland knockoffs.

3 Likes

Yeah, but its a hotel. Domed caves are going to echo like crazy people talking/boning.

Twighlight Zone idea where people spend the night and wake up and none of the staff are there, there is no internet or media, and after figuring out how to get back to the surface they find out the world ended or something…

7 Likes

That’s a big nope from me.
One time our admin booked us in an Air BnB when we were traveling to a conference in NOLA.
The “townhouse” she put us up in was overall ok and huge - except for one of the bedrooms (which I got) had no window. Which I would assume would be illegal, but maybe not in LA, I dunno. It certainly is in CA.
Anyway, I had to sleep in that one and it freaked me TF out.

7 Likes

I believe the term is “spelunking.”

6 Likes

Snowdonia(now no longer known by the English name, but by the Welsh Eryri) is a fantastic place to visit, and a lot of disused mines are being redeveloped. We went into a mine filled with dioramas of Arthurian legend and stories from the Mabinogion - at the end during the journey back to the entrance, my son was surprised by a scary red dragon (as of legend) and tried to dive overboard from the barge that was carrying us to the surface world.

There’s also a trampoline park in another mine somewhere - but the main reason to visit Eryri is the breathtaking landscapes and outdoor sports opportunities - great hiking, great climbing, cycling - there may even be some canoeing somewhere.

10 Likes

Mainly around the rivers and lakes? :thinking:

5 Likes

Seems to reason that an enclosed structure protects against dust and falling debris (important in a mine), keeps out bats and bugs (important or not, depending on location), and is a smaller space to climate control (especially for humidity). I could see building essentially a whole cabin at the bottom of a mine for a foreman or project manager’s office.

4 Likes

Now there’s a horror story. You keep climbing up, but you’re still not at the top. Sure, you expected it to take longer going up than it did going down, but you’ve been climbing for well over 3 hours now, and there’s still no end in sight. And it all just looks the same…

7 Likes

In Mammoth Cave in Kentucky there was a tuberculosis hospital. If you ever go there, take the history tour.

10 Likes