Deer-poaching woman brags on dating app to the wrong person

Heh. Justice is a dish best served marinated for a month in the boot of a car.

9 Likes

A rash of poacher posts lately. There are so many deer and deer tags are easy to get, it really isn’t worth the risk to poach them, IMO. But I guess people don’t want to play by the rules, so.

1 Like

OMG - there was a mythbusters similar to this. He probably burned it or sold it for scrap.

2 Likes

Sadly that attitude is hard to seperate from hunter culture:

Fischer sent the photos in a mass email to more than 100 contacts. The pictures showed Fischer and his wife, Beth, posing with numerous animals they killed on a trip to Namibia. This was his wife’s first trip to Africa, according to the message, and she wanted to watch him and “‘get a feel’ of Africa.”

“So I shot a whole family of baboons. I think she got the idea quick.” the email read. “After we left all of the animals in Africa that were still alive we pretty happy we were on a plane headed home!”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/10/15/idaho-wildlife-official-resigns-african-hunting-photos/1654174002/

4 Likes

This is what happens when they don’t have the revenue from hunting fees to pay for the conservation officers. I wish that this wasn’t how it worked… but it is.

3 Likes

Yes, that is exactly what apoxia is saying. Why does this surprise you?
https://www.google.com/search?q=mistook+for+a+deer&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS770US770&oq=mistook+for+a&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.4567j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Just on the 1st page of results I see incidents in Michigan, Arkansas & New York.

4 Likes

I’m not a big hunting fan although I have many friends and family who are bigtime into it so I understand the culture. Living in the western US, hunting is a bit of a way of life even though it’s really not essential for food anymore. I understand the need to control prey populations but I’m more of a naturalist at heart - let nature sort it out. We’ve meddled in the affairs of nature for too long (almost wiping out wolves to extinction for example) then wonder why certain species are over-populated. I prefer fishing myself. Same concept I suppose but I release most of my catch now.

I have a good friend in Australia who goes deer hunting often. Over there, deer are an invasive species so you don’t need a license and there are no limits or restrictions other than on the guns themselves. When he describes his techniques for hunting and the weapons/ammo he uses, it always amazes me what he can get away with as it just runs counter to everything I learned about hunting and wildlife conservation growing up. I have to check myself not to pass judgement on his methods. He’d be in huge trouble over here.

2 Likes

It’s not, though;

And even though it is Americans who constitute a major percentage of the world’s trophy hunters, this small, wealthy club of big game sport hunters do not embrace the values of the vast majority of other Americans who appreciate the many non-exploitative values of wild animals.

Economically, the actual benefits accrued by local people from the hunts have been found to be exaggerated or practically non-existent in the case of trophy hunted animals like polar bears in Canada, according to a report for IFAW by Economists at Large. And in Tanzania – one of Africa’s top sport-hunting destinations – an estimated 3-5% of hunting revenues are actually shared with fringe communities, according to a report by Hassanali Thomas Sachedina of St. Anthony’s College, University of Oxford.

When a species’ greatest value is as a dead trophy, its days will inevitably be numbered, just as they are when the value of their parts – like ivory tusks, tiger skins, or rhino horn – make protection from poachers nearly impossible.

This case is illustrated by the U.S. hunting group, the Dallas Safari Club, auctioning off the right to kill one of the last black rhinos for over a quarter million dollars in the name of “conservation.”

The sale sent a message to the world that vainglorious hunters will pay almost anything to kill something exceedingly rare – in this instance, a species already being wiped out for the value of its horn. Such a message puts just another price tag on a rare animal’s already imperiled head.

https://www.cnn.com/2015/05/19/opinions/trophy-hunting-not-conservation-flocken/index.html

Edited to indicate quotes

10 Likes

Seems like she spent a whole lot of effort to brag about a buck that, honestly, wasn’t all that impressive.

That aside, I’m less than impressed with her skills because I could honestly walk 50 yards off my back patio (here in the suburbs) and club at least 3-4 deer with a baseball bat, if I wanted to somehow reaffirm my masculinity and/or demonstrate that I have a penis. The population around here is ridiculous, and we’re in dire need of culling the herd.

3 Likes

I’ve been a hunter most of my life, and I hate and despise anyone who goes on a ‘canned’ hunt. Looking for game in a fenced-in area isn’t hunting, it’s going to an open-air meat market. A lot of those places guarantee a kill. IF THERE’S NO CHANCE YOU MAY GO HOME EMPTY HANDED, IT ISN’T A HUNT, IT’S TANTAMOUNT TO MURDER. Canned hunts are for weaklings and cowards and perverts.

8 Likes

Mmm - so does this extend to things like areas which are stocked with pheasants and quail? What about using a guide? Does it extend to people who hire a guide for fishing? Does it apply to hunts set up for people with limited mobility, in a wheelchair, etc? Or hunting from a blind or stand vs stalking?

I’ve edited your comment to reflect the fact that the revenue (or more accurately, the resources) do not need to come from hunting fees. That may be currently the most convenient source. It may be the only source they’ve thought of. But it is not the only source of resources.

Edited for clarity and flow.

5 Likes

She should have her guns and vehicle taken away as well. Anything, in fact, that was used in the poaching, should be confiscated, sold and the proceeds given to wildlife protection groups.

4 Likes

In most states, anything used in a crime like poaching (truck, guns, boats in the case of illegal fishing) are confiscated.

3 Likes

Kinda ruins poached eggs.

No, that’s what happens when they don’t allocate the proper resources to conservation and allow endemic poaching to continue unchecked. That kind of statement assumes a properly functioning government. Zimbabwe is one of the most corrupt, economically depressed nations in Africa that had a narcissistic dictator running the place for almost 30 years.

2 Likes

Agreed. In fact, I would argue that most hunting falls into the “sport” category in that most hunters are not out there for food or conservation management, but just to have a nice, peaceful time in the woods… and then kill something. Like, how many people actually eat pheasants? And have you ever had a wild turkey or duck? Or buck meat?

2 Likes

I concur. I have family who hunt and used to pressure us into taking venison and elk after every season.

I don’t think it’s crazy to expect that if you had the “fun” of killing it, you should also have the fun of eating it all too.

2 Likes

My parents used to lie to me and tell me that venison was beef. I could always tell because beef doesn’t usually taste like a urine-soaked tire. I guess the good part of that anecdote is that my dad is one of those hunters that would keep all of the meat for consumption, but that had more to do with the fact that he is so cheap about everything. He wouldn’t even spring for the sausages or jerky!

3 Likes

Oh god, isn’t that SOP for hunting dads? My SO’s dad did that too- and yes, it’s easy to tell the difference.

1 Like