Defense lawyer in trial of Ahmaud Arbery's killers objects to courtroom visitors: "We don't want any more Black pastors coming in here"

Well, they did make it work in eliminating Black jurors so why not try it again? This is the real power of White whinging.

10 Likes

… what? Why? Because they might provoke his client into shooting them?

12 Likes

He then offered a half-assed pseudo apology: “my apologies to anyone who might have inadvertently been offended”

If that’s a person’s idea of an apology they are better off not saying anything at all.

10 Likes

Yeah, that’s not an apology, that’s blaming people for being offended. There is no “mea” in his “mea culpa”.

8 Likes

He’d be demand a fucking mistrial if any Black Imams showed up!

17 Likes

I sort of hope hundreds of clergy of other races and denominations show up to offer support.

11 Likes

"SIT WITH THE VICTIMS’ FAMILY"

After going to such efforts to prevent the prosecution ever calling them that.

Does that mean the defence has just stated on the record that the people who were shot are now “the victims”? Does that mean the prosecution can use the term again?

Or are the black people being shooed out to make room for more kangaroos in that courtroom?

4 Likes

I like your spirit, but you may have confused the Aubury murder case with the Rittenhouse trial.

I don’t blame you - they are branches of the same violent white supremacy tree.

16 Likes

So many white supremacists, so easy to lose track.

17 Likes

Damn, it’s like that lawyer just wanted to start dropping N-bombs in frustration for that family annoying him with their grieving for their loved one like he was senslessly killed for no real reason beyond a couple of half-wit racists deciding they were going to pull a citizen’s “judge, jury and executioner” isn’t that’s what it’s called when you illegally try to detain someone and then murder them?

2 Likes

Covering her mouth is another dead giveaway. It signals, “I wanna say something, but I kind of can’t.”

7 Likes

Same goes for black jurors.

5 Likes

This whole thing is breathtaking, really. It was mishandled from day one, and the fact that they went back to trying it locally, instead of going to another community…literally WTF.

It would be lovely indeed if a parade of pastors filed in to sit with the VICTIM’S family.

9 Likes

Oof.

4 Likes

The headline makes Mr. Gough sound like a racist. If you read into his history, he has a long record of fighting against racism including against the DA that failed to bring charges in this case. He lost his job as public defender for going against that DA and fighting for poor rights. He has been praised by the NAACP for his work.

From the article

he served for two years as legal director of a group called the Poor and Minority Justice Association. From 1989 to 1993, he served as a prosecutor in the local district attorney’s office. For four years starting in 2012, he represented the poorest defendants in his community as the Brunswick Judicial Circuit public defender.

Mr. Tyson also chided Mr. Gough for engaging in a “media campaign” that took aim at the Brunswick-area district attorney at the time, Jackie Johnson. Mr. Gough had publicly accused Ms. Johnson of failing to file cases in a timely manner, a move that he said wasted taxpayer money and impeded indigent clients’ right to a speedy trial.

Mr. Tyson said in his letter that Mr. Gough had also accused the district attorney of being too cozy with the local police, and said that Mr. Gough had complained that the Superior Court was being run “as a debtors’ prison,” issuing steep restitution and probation fees to the poor.

Take the person who is most capable of defending the poor, the needy and the downtrodden and remove him from the office, what will they replace it with? With someone who will go about to get along,” the Rev. Dr. Leonard Small, an African American civil rights activist, said at that time in his defense of Mr. Gough, according to a TV news report.

Mr. Gough threatened to go on a hunger strike if a number of demands by the N.A.A.C.P. pertaining to the local justice system were not met.

Mr. Tyson also chided Mr. Gough for engaging in a “media campaign” that took aim at the Brunswick-area district attorney at the time, Jackie Johnson. Mr. Gough had publicly accused Ms. Johnson of failing to file cases in a timely manner, a move that he said wasted taxpayer money and impeded indigent clients’ right to a speedy trial.

From the front page NYTimes article yesterday

1 Like

I’m afraid the NYT has a long, sordid history of burnishing the reputations of people caught doing bad shit in public. So that source is incredibly suspect.

The details check out, but that just makes it even more baffling why he used racism to exclude black jurors and then said what he said in court. There’s his duty to do his best for his clients, but that threshold does not include illegal jury selection (which exclusion because of race definitely would fall under), nor does it include racist utterances in court.

People are complicated. But if one was to judge Gough by his actions during this trial, which is what the public will most certainly do as it appears to be the first time he’s been thrust into national attention, it will judge him, rightfully, as a racist.

ETA: Welcome to BoingBoing!

26 Likes

Covering one’s mouth can also indicate a wish that someone else would just STFU.

5 Likes

He seems more like an “I apologize if anyone was offended” kind of guy. The “a lot of my best friends are black” line is vanishingly unlikely to be exculpatory; but it’s an outright admission that treating blacks as an undistinguished blob of otherness either unknowable or best kept in their place, which definitely isn’t my place, and unknown is at least in principle a bad thing that decent people wouldn’t admit to doing.

3 Likes

…By quoting his exact words, and providing a video with them in context, yes.

22 Likes

To be fair, I’m sure the “Black pastors” he derided would fucking love to spend their time not coming to these kind of trials as well.

But, you know, white people keep fucking everything up.

26 Likes