Defrost your windshield in half the time with a science-backed method

[Read the post]

Our car does not even let me reciculate the air if it is set to either wind screen setting. I will have to try turning on the AC with the heater on, but I suspect it will think, “stupid human you are not allowed to do that”.

Sounds more like a method to defog, not defrost.

17 Likes

[quote=“boingboing, post:1, topic:71597”]
He also offers tips that involve cat litter…[/quote]

I once made the mistake of going to the grocery store the day before a major snowstorm was predicted. Around these parts people hear snow in the forecast and immediately rush out to stock up on bread, eggs, milk, and toilet paper.

A man with an English accent stopped me and asked if I knew where to find cat litter. I told him and then added that he should pick up the other items.

He said, “I’m most grateful. I’ll be sure to get those things as well. When in Rome one must do as the Nashvillians do.”

He then disappeared and I was too dumbfounded to say, “Wait! Who are you and can I buy you a drink?”

13 Likes

Most modern cars turn the AC on when you set them to the windshield de-fogging position.

7 Likes

Did you mean “a zeolite molecular sieve”?

4 Likes

Good to know. So the car will probably just say “Stop touching those dials and buttons I really do know better than you. Also I am ordering an Autonomous driving system and an ejection seat via the Internet right now.”

7 Likes

Yup. My Kia has a front windshield defog button that turns on A/C, heat, and recirculate.

(Also, the Kia/Hyundai standard car stereos have a Cat Folder button.)

Defrosting around these parts (Arizona) is accomplished by parking under a carport so as to not accumulate frost. If that isn’t available, we have credit cards in our pockets that serve well as ice scrapers in emergencies.

Yeah, the refrigerator is running when you push defrost. My '58 Chevy has a retro-fit AC unit that has two internal switches on the air deflector control, that enable the AC compressor at either full-dash-vent or full-defrost-vent settings. Takes more than a few minutes to get the car warm.

2 Likes

My thouhgt exactly. The easy way to defrost: a quart of hot water. No, it won’t break the glass, unless you mistake molten nickel for hot water.

3 Likes

I’ve lost more windshields that way…

9 Likes

For years I wondered about this behavior, but then I realized that I’m one of the few people who doesn’t like French Toast on a holiday.

9 Likes

I’ve lost 2 windshields to people blasting hot air from the AC on a frosted window.

1 Like

He left out an important step, that he apparently failed to included in his test. Put the visors down. and use the defroster setting You don’t need to heat the air in the entire car. You need to heat the air near the window. The defrost setting directs heat across the surface of the windshield, and putting visors in a vertical position helps build up a layer of hot air next to the windows, rather than being circulated along the roof to the back of the car. You’re welcome.

8 Likes

Deicer and a scraper. Done.

3 Likes

Yep, came here to say the same thing: article title says defrost, video’s dude says defog. The method used, I had figured out myself, like, after a coupla times, when I started driving - 'except that the AC really isn’t needed. Jeeeeeze…

Can I say: warm climate problems?

Now, I’d like to see him try to not frost/ice the inside of a windshield with your breath, when it’s -40deg, your car has been in the shade all morning…and you’re late for work.

4 Likes

Also set yourself up for success in the morning. When driving home with a toasty warm car (i.e. moisture-filled interior), a few blocks from home crack the windows, switch AC to max cool, and/or do whatever else your car allows to exchange the inside air for outside, drier air.

Yeah, you get cold those last few blocks but that just makes you happier to be home, inside where it’s warm. And there’s less water inside your car to deal with in the morning.

7 Likes

Just pee on your windshield. Works every time.

Alternatively I hear that mild, awkward insults work wonders.

Wait, what am I on about?

3 Likes

I’ve been driving in Canada for 38 years, Nov-March, ave -15C with -40C extremes, plus windchill (which isn’t relevant but enhances my hyperbole), and never have I heard of a cracked windshield from too much hot air even if there’s a stone chip in it already. I’m calling BS on your claim.

6 Likes

Couldn’t this be scripted, so the car computer does that after parking? Same result in the morning, but you aren’t in the car when it is cold.

1 Like