When you turn the heater on for the first time

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/02/when-you-turn-the-heater-on-fo.html

14 Likes

Not here this week, cause it was 96 god damn degrees today…

Floof.

26 Likes

It’s gotta be SoCal because it dropped to low of 55°F…for like an hour @4:30 a.m.

12 Likes

One of my previous feline overlords was the exact opposite of this.

He DID NOT WANT when the heater was turned on for the first time in a season. I think he worried the house was on fire and was insisting I evacuate.

5 Likes

Although I long ago disposed of my big old CRT-based TV, I kept the somewhat unsightly TV stand, placing it directly in front of a heat vent, just for my cats.
I spoil the little fuzzballs.

8 Likes

Look at this chonk.

8 Likes

I used to take my small blanket, and put it over me, making an “igloo” over the floor vent to warm up during the winter. I guess my parents kept the house cold back then.

10 Likes

If there is ever a pandemic that kills all humans, the first great animal evolutionary leap forward will be that cats figure out how to turn the thermostat up. It should take about 10 minutes.

15 Likes

I envy that floof, not for the heater, but for being somewhere were you can already turn the heater on.

Seriously, summer, time to pack it in. It’s friggin’ October. You’re crowding autumn.

11 Likes

We have heated beds for our cats, and they use them all year round. Weirdos don’t seem to appreciate air conditioning. THEY’RE WEARING FUR COATS FOR CRISSAKE.

7 Likes

Yesterday at 7pm: 89 degrees f. Today at 7pm: 57 degrees f.

In Chicago you just switch directly from AC to furnace. Autumn is a myth.

11 Likes

It’s funny how one’s memory can lie. Mine recalls a time when there were seasons separating summer and winter. The dark recesses of my mind even named them: “Spring” and “Fall.” Such pretty, nonsensical names.

Such a glorious dreamland.

I miss them so.

8 Likes

I saw the headline and thought this was going to be an article about horrible carcinogens flooding the air as the dust burns off. But this is much nicer.

5 Likes

The trick is to cover enough of the vent to keep it yourself, but leave just enough space for airflow.

10 Likes

Modern domestic cats descend from the African wildcat. They’re built for heat, and more tolerant of it than a human.

2 Likes

Yup, we even felt it down here in TJ. Two adult cats wrestling over lap space as I tried to paint.

4 Likes

As much as you want to be cool with your cat sleeping over a air duct on the floor to stay warm you have to be a bit careful about them sleeping there. A few weeks ago my cat got seriously hurt from running over one of those.

My oversized tabby boy (18 pounder who is a siamese & american shorthair mix) messed up his foot pretty good. On his back foot he completely ripped out one toenail and split the toenail next to in half down the middle. The fool made a bloody mess everywhere (his adrenaline was pumping because he still wanted to chase his sisters even though had a bleeding, injured foot). It took a while to get him to the vet (vet had to come in to her on labor day break so she was delayed a bit and it was difficult to catch him because he found a ripped hole into a box string and hid inside of it). The vet said these kind of injuries can happen when a cat runs over those vents and gets their nails caught in them.

Just a bit of a cautionary tale for folks here.

4 Likes

We had a cat that was skinny, so liked laying on the radiators. He learned to recognize the ping of the hot water starting to go through the cold radiators and would jump up and go lay on them…

4 Likes

Heck, I do that now, with a big blanket, and I’m 31. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :shushing_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.