Defrost your windshield in half the time with a science-backed method

Arduino-based aftermarket retrofit? :stuck_out_tongue:

How does the damage manifest? Is there a way to correct or prevent this?

Iā€™d love something like this for supervising of welding and glassworkingā€¦

When I think I broke it, the whole sensor whited-out, and didnā€™t regain sensitivity until I put the camera in the fridge overnight. So maybe the bolometer just couldnā€™t get the heat out sufficiently? Couldnā€™t keep itself cool enough?

It seems to create fuzzier images now too. But they were very fuzzy to begin with.

1 Like

I have to get something like this.

Note to self: make a spatial sensitivity calibrator, take pictures over time to assess sensor degradation.

1 Like

Itā€™s very cheap as far and mid infrared imaging goes. About 1/8th the cost of the cheapest FLIR brand thermal monocular.

www.amazon.com/Seek-Compact-Thermal-Imager-Android/dp/B00NYWAHHM

2 Likes

Presumably that was frost on the outside though, correct? Moisture inside the cabin makes little difference there.

As far as de-icing the outsideā€¦ Iā€™ve heard that a mixture of 70% isopropyl alcohol with water (2:1 ratio, I think?) in a spray bottle is the best way to home brew your own de-icing spray. I generally garage my car, though, so I rarely have to scrape in the morning (though I guess it would be handy to keep in the car for those days at work when we get freezing rain during the day)

Correct. The frost was on the outside of my windshield. Cold Canadian temperatures generally reduce the amount of moisture inside the cabin which means cracking a window to allow moisture to exit the cabin will not help defrost my Canadian windshield any faster.

First, I donā€™t have a garage, so letā€™s not make the assumption that all ā€œlife-hackersā€ have that luxury. Secondly, why would I homebrew isopropyl/water spray when my car has built-in isopropyl/water sprayers located adjacent to the windshield?

Ultimately, using a ā€œscience-backed methodā€, Iā€™d hypothesize that I can ā€œdefrostā€ the outside of my ā€œwindshield in half the timeā€ using a conventional scraper.

The problem here seems to be that the headline of the post talks about defrosting, but the actual video is talking about defogging. And we have mixed conversations in this thread about both.

As for simply putting the de-icing solution in your windshield wiper tank - Iā€™m not sure how effective a regular isopropyl/water mix would be at regular window cleaningā€¦ I know that my Rain-X de-icing fluid has some sort of detergent in it, but I donā€™t know what the de-icing ingredient is (and itā€™s not very good at de-icing, unless itā€™s a very small amount of frost that needs removing). I only just recently heard about the alcohol/water mix, but have been too lazy to bother trying it (and wouldnā€™t have had an instance to do so any way, with Torontoā€™s current mild winter)

only a few steps away from self-aware!

1 Like

If you have a rock chip, hot water is a great way to turn it into a full-blown crack. No molten nickel needed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.