Defund the police?

How is Mississippi still having these problems? :rage:

4 Likes

Makes me wonder if the same issues in representation that existed in Ferguson, MO happened in communities like Lexington, MS too:

5 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised…

2 Likes

Border agents shared confidential info about U.S. journalists, activists with Mexican authorities - oregonlive.com

5 Likes

Nancy Pelosi No Surprise GIF by GIPHY News

4 Likes

A DA’s office and cops caught ignoring rules and violating policies!

The Wire Wow GIF

6 Likes
10 Likes

Less about cops than our broader incarceration system but

Putting it here because:

Connecticut used to collect prison debt by attaching an automatic lien to every inmate, claiming half of any financial windfall they might receive for up to 20 years after they are released from prison, said Dan Barrett, legal director for the American Civil Liberties Union of Connecticut. That included things like insurance settlements, inheritances and lottery winnings.
The state even collected money awarded to inmates in lawsuits over alleged abuse by prison guards.

Smdh

8 Likes

If they are charging inmates rent, then their stay is voluntary and they can leave at any time. Otherwise, no rent.

9 Likes
5 Likes

And, I know this is a side note to the overall absurdity, but $249 a day?!? If that’s really what it costs, we’d all* be better off putting non-violent offenders almost anywhere else than our horrible for-profit prisons.

*by “all” I mean everyone except those currently profiting from our horrid current system.

4 Likes

At first, I read your asterisked sentence to mean the prison profiteers should be made prisoners in their own prisons.

Happy Simon Cowell GIF by America's Got Talent

4 Likes

See, you’d be a great judge in the court of Making the Consequences Fit the Crime. I’d also approve of former cops being constantly pulled over, randomly tased, or visited by members of a citizen’s committee in the middle of the night. :thinking: Officials behind the debacle in Jackson, MS could be sentenced to spend some time on survival water rations…

minions overlord GIF by Hyper RPG

5 Likes

I’m definitely not averse to that outcome!

Or those outcomes!

3 Likes

it’s usually between 30-40 thousand a year to keep someone in prison. about 95 dollars a day. a decent bit more than i made working my grocery store job

it’s travesty because we’d never give people that kind of money to keep them out of jail.

paying for your own incarceration is horrific. and they’re clearly gouging them to boot. wouldn’t surprise me if the debt was also securitized and made into an “investment”

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2018/04/30/2018-09062/annual-determination-of-average-cost-of-incarceration

6 Likes

Exactly.
The maximum monthly SNAP benefits for a single parent of two is less than the equivalent to 3 days in prison at the current CT rates. :woman_shrugging:t2:
Punitive is the name of the game.

7 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes
7 Likes

Both the LA County sheriff and that judge need to be sharing a federal prison cell.

7 Likes