Defund the police?

worf-facepalm

10 Likes

i can imagine writers at the onion groaning yet again at being beaten by reality.

9 Likes

Some of these incidents go back more than 10 years, and there are probably former employees involved, so the amount of documents will be higher for those with multiple accusations. The real question is this - of the 1500 there now, how many were not named on any of the documents?

10 Likes

Then the employees would have an average turnover of about one week for them to hide one record each.

3 Likes

Wait…wait…do you mean to say some police actually need training to be clowns?

7 Likes

Exactly.

I just found these two recently:

I like their coverage. They definitely call out all the places where the law authorities didn’t do their effing jobs and more people ended up getting hurt. Of the ones I’ve heard so far, the Ken and Barbie murderers were especially egregious on that front.

ETA: and I just made it to your post about Louisville. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Yet another example of how the police do not protect young women.

(I know there are lots of groups they don’t protect, this is in context of the case referenced above.)

3 Likes

A few years before the Boston marathon bombing, Tamerlan Tsarnaev was a suspect in a triple murder in Waltham MA. The Waltham police didn’t really pursue this because the murder was drug related and the victims were drug dealers. The murder went unsolved.

3 Likes

I hadn’t heard that part. WTH, coppers?
In the Ken and Barbie murders, it stretched beyond the standard leaving criminals to keep committing crimes, which is already just too much. In addition to the totally preventable body count, 2 innocent guys ended up falsely convicted of the heinous crimes and spent years and years in prison, all of which could’ve been avoided if the police had simply followed a lead, or processed the evidence submitted. That last came something like 4 years after the evidence was submitted. Reminded me of all the other precincts with shelves upon shelves of unprocessed rape kits.
So infuriating.

3 Likes

Seriously, one of the biggest side benefits of defunding the police to reduce violence against POC will be to separate criminal investigation from the stupid, lazy shits who currently do it and get people who can solve a puzzle in their place.

5 Likes

Before anyone asks, it is real. It’s at the start of the last chapter of The Return of the King (Book 6, Chapter 9, The Grey Havens)

19 Likes
5 Likes

And the cop with the camera turned away so as not to capture the rest of the conversation. Nice.

8 Likes

Oh my gosh, the body language when he gets back in frame. I can almost smell the flop sweat.

3 Likes

I agree with all of this up to the last sentence. “Defunding” is deliberately used to make it seem democrats/liberals justify lawlessness and violence. I know republican politicians are deliberately misconstruing the intent. I also don’t believe that anger towards police brutality, harassment or melanin-based decision making is unjustified. It’s like the change from Global Warming to climate change, the issue is more complicated than just too hot, as it’s too hot, too wet, too cold, too dry.
Like Global Warming, It’s also just not accurate. It’s going to take funding to improve police. If we just short them staff and salary, that won’t help. Cops need better training, better vetting over who gets to be a cop, we need to bring in social services, mediators and better policing, not just less $. There is not a way to do that with less money.

there’s an existing thread for that conversation.

Defund the police?

tldr. there is. and it’s the right thing to do.

13 Likes

Yeah, sort of figured I was thread hijacking to something that had previously been discussed.

2 Likes

there’s just so few threads on the boards these days what with there basically being no news and all, im surprised that you weren’t able to keep track. :joy_cat:

hope the link helps. it’s a good discussion to have

4 Likes

Please look up what defunding the police means, because you just said not to, then described the actual policy proposal.

14 Likes

Something to think about the next time you talk with someone who is all “Blue lives matter:”

The Trumpsurrection did at least make one thing clear and public on a national stage: that the Back the Blue folks don’t actually give a shit about cops. They have no hesitation killing or injuring police who are in their way. What they care about is the power structure that maintains white supremacy. And that’s where we get them. By weakening white supremacy, we can weaken resistance to defunding the police and funding the other areas of specialization that were abdicated to police that they suck at.

17 Likes
8 Likes