"DEI did this" Florida MAGA rep blames DEI for bridge collapse. Check out The Wire creator's response

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/27/dei-did-this-florida-maga-rep-blames-dei-for-bridge-collapse-check-out-the-wire-creators-response.html

8 Likes

DEI is such a helpful shorthand when you can’t quite decide whether something should be blamed on women, gay people, black people, or Jews. :unamused:

48 Likes

Is the DEI in the room with us, right now?

33 Likes

Hey, trans people haven’t been eliminated yet. Give us credit too!

34 Likes

It takes a special level of stupidity to insult the people of Baltimore in the midst of a tragedy and incur the writerly wrath of David Simon. Count on a Florida MAGAt to reach that level of dumb.

26 Likes

Why not blame the immigrants who were fixing potholes on the bridge.

23 Likes

Well, I mean… I think Magidiots did that also.

13 Likes

Such a surreal thing to say about a ship named “Dali.”

It’s not even a US flagged ship.

13 Likes

Exactly! An immigrant ship named after an artist!
This would never have happened with an American ship, named after a football player, run by a True American™ crew!
/s

13 Likes

The crew was from India, but the harbor pilots were from the US.

12 Likes

None of that helps if you are up to speed and then lose power. Inertia is a bear to get under control!

13 Likes

This is the Deepwater Horizon Spill, seen from space, that took place close to his state.

11 people on the platform were killed immediately, the toxicity from water pollution has likely killed several times that, in addition to being one of the most destructive and costly environmental catastrophes in maritime history. I doubt the decision makers at Halliburton and BP were “woke”, but probably had closer cultural ties to his own “drill, baby, drill” bros.

16 Likes

Your puny facts are meaningless, merely the product of your feverish, woke mind virus infection. You should have worn a mask and got vaccinated. No, hang on. Er, anyway, we have better facts.

12 Likes

A Confederate general, don’t you mean?

16 Likes

The kind of blatant, unapologetic racism required to make this kind of statement is something else. This is insane - the Republicans are out there asserting that if anything goes wrong, it must be because a (non-white-man) was given a job that they weren’t qualified to do, because of “wokeness.” Doesn’t matter what the situation is, doesn’t matter if it doesn’t even involve Americans. I never was under any illusion that America was less racist, but I really thought it had at least moved on to more covert and subtle forms of racism. But no, we’re still right back where we were 64 years ago, with LBJ’s observed dynamic still animating conservative politics: “If you can convince the lowest white man he’s better than the best colored man, he won’t notice you’re picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he’ll empty his pockets for you.”

I noticed that the latest iteration of Gamergate that sprung up in the last month involves a lot of people upset about DEI - it’s clearly something Republicans have decided is a winning issue for them recently and must be talking about a lot on their propaganda channels like Fox.

15 Likes

Wasn’t the previous CEO of BP gay? I’m sure it was all his fault.

/s

11 Likes

Same playbook conservatives used to saddle the blame for the Ever Given incident on Egypt’s first woman ship’s captain even though she was hundreds of miles away at the time.

13 Likes

Somewhat off-topic but one of the folks leading the shareholder revolt against the Disney board of directors has been loudly complaining about “wokeness” ruining the company’s financial results, and gave The Black Panther as an example. Never mind the fact that that movie made over $1.3 billion at the box office and was one of the most successful movies of all time. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

14 Likes

Yeah, that one did my noodle in. That he’s attacking it, given it did so well, indicates his issue is entirely about his personal issues with the cast being Black. Gosh, yes, how unreasonable to have a movie, set in Africa, where the main characters are Black! (Because it wasn’t even an “all Black cast” - there’s still a significant white supporting character, so he’s actually just upset the main characters were Black.) But he’s fine, on the other hand, with all the movies which had all white (main) casts (which is almost every single other Marvel movie, with… two? exceptions)*.

*Not to mention basically almost all the movies Hollywood ever made.

9 Likes

Not Marvel, but Wonder Woman made 820 million from a budget of 149 million. So clearly making a successful superhero movie with a female lead is possible and potentially incredibly lucrative.

10 Likes