'Delay the Election,' tweets President Donald Trump

ugh, that last one made me imagine Democrats forcing through an emergency USPS funding bill, then Biden winning due to mail-in votes and Republicans crying that the funding bill was a bribe for the PO to throw the election for Biden. This is not what I want to be using my imagination for.

12 Likes

Fortunately, Trump thinks that the first rule of dictatorships," Keep the generals on your side." is just another rule that he can ignore. And if it comes down to a fight between the military versus the DHS and some 3%ers the fight will be over in a hurry. But of course the very idea that we are even discussing this as a possibility is disheartening. I think that he say that the election was rigged and egg on protesters and there will be 3%ers and boogalooers and the like taking some pot shots. But I don’t think we’ll actually see civil war-like levels of violence. But I am dreading the time between the election and the inauguration. It is going to be ugly, IMHO.

5 Likes

What happens if the State’s National Guard steps in and protects the protesters? I can think of several States where that is a very likely outcome, Oregon being one.

2 Likes

It depends on the federal military brass. They can take command of any National Guard unit at any time once it’s called up. However, they don’t have to. In which case the unit remains under the control of the state’s governor.

IIRC.

2 Likes

Apparently the national military brass have already told Trump (end of May) to clean up his own messes. Or, perhaps somewhat more politely, “Mr. President, per <UCMJ chapter and verse> I cannot obey that command.”

Put another way, “Every one of us took an oath to defend the Constitution against all enemies, domestic and foreign. Where do you fit in that?”

Which is why he sent DHS goons to Portland.

Today, one of the co-founders of the Federalist Society essentially told Trump, “You’re on your own, loser.”

7 Likes

Care to place a wager on this? I’ll give you 2:1 odds. The bet is that the next duly-elected President is sworn in on schedule.

Well that didn’t age well:

14 Likes

So, after the election, once Trump is out, will @frauenfelder and others promise to stop giving Trump any coverage?

2 Likes

Except for when he finally kicks.

6 Likes

There will much celebrating on that glorious day…

13 Likes

And I’m wondering why that was the tipping point to change that gentleman’s mind? Up until today he was just fine with everything Trump did and said. (And it shouldn’t have been a surprise after idiot Jared floated the idea previously.)

10 Likes

15 Likes
1 Like

Suddenly NOW he’s a fascist to the guy?

Where has he been for 4 years? Under a rock with his eyes gouged out and living next to a 24/7 mariachi band training camp?

3 Likes

Then towards the end of January Patrick Leahy becomes President.
#bunkerbaby and #theocrat will be out
The entire House will be out.
1/3 of the Senate will be out leaving the next President as the most senior member of the (newly) majority Party

But before that I think there would be a military coup

1 Like

I will pay off the national debt by putting a jukebox next to his grave and a toilet paper dispenser right next to that.

10 Likes

Chekhov’s Election Cancellation.

May 13, 2020

7 Likes

Oh, I like you. Can we join forces? I was going to lead a yearly pilgrimage to piss on his grave, several others have expressed interest.

I’m actually serious about the pilgrimage btw. Honest.
I’ll make sure nothing ever grows there, even if it lands me in jail

4 Likes

If we can send the kids to school there is no need to delay the election.

2 Likes

If we can send the kids to school there is no need to delay the election.

That might end up being a double-edged sword. Everyone knows we most likely CAN’T send the kids to school. So, in a month or two when they shut schools down again, he will probably just reverse the statement.

4 Likes